synthetic oil for new 66cc engine break in?

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Oil for moving parts, everyone has their own opinion on which oil is the best or which isnt. Its been my experience that for break in you want to use a conventional oil that has the natural waxes in it to help seal the motor and it also helps to seat the rings during the break in period. After 500 miles synthetic is great because of its superior antifriction properties. Personally I like a 50/50 blend of both to get the best properties of both oils.

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Oil for moving parts, everyone has their own opinion on which oil is the best or which isnt. Its been my experience that for break in you want to use a conventional oil that has the natural waxes in it to help seal the motor and it also helps to seat the rings during the break in period. After 500 miles synthetic is great because of its superior antifriction properties. Personally I like a 50/50 blend of both to get the best properties of both oils.
Hmmmmm,I have always been told during break in on a vehicle that conventional motor oil is best to seal the rings....I guess this would have to be the same for 2 strokes....Now what to do,what to do....Im putting the motor on tomorrow and have a new bottle of multi-purpose 2stroke pennzoil laying around(not synthetic)....I have never been a pennzoil fan(always liked castrol becouse a racing buddy said it was best,now I hear mobile 1 synthetic is)....Well I have some thinking to do before I make my decision....
Thanks for the help
John-John

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... there's more than one school of thought on this...

My suspicion is that if you use a high end quality synthetic and a heavy mix, you may be simply prolonging your break in period, I used "el cheapo" brand oil for my initial break in then drained, flushed, and switched to Amsoil synthetic once I got my miles in.

*shrug* It could a be all in my head tho lol ;)

o_O whoa... déjà vu... seems like I just typed this in another thread :p

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really dunno if it is right or wrong but always worked for me. dyno or conventional oil for break in. Back when I first got into 2 strokes I was told if you used synthetic for break in it would cause problems so never tried it. Might be just fine, I just do not know. I have looked but have yet to find a real study.