Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes

Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Motorize a full suspension mountain bike to get a smother ride or for a little more speed try motorized road bicycles. This section is for sharing ideas on motorizing your mountain and road bikes.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: JackShaft Kit Compatible Bikes

Sounds good I always wondered if that was even possible to change the rear cassette since its an old bike i feel like most things are not compatible maybe its in my head. Sounds good too I tend to shift between just 5 gears anyways so that would be better ill first think of getting the shift kit. Thanks for the help thats all I needed to know!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

The term "cassette" refers to a specific style of rear gears. Most don't actually have a cassette. The gear set can be changed if you want, but most require a park tool to remove without destroying it. If you don't care about it, a hammer and punch can remove the gears, bit it will destroy the freewheel.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 PM

I see now then I guess I would have to do with what I have. So changing the whole rim and getting a gear set would be a lot easier I don't mind destroying the gear set but I do mind destroying the freewheel I should keep it simple for now.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:14 PM

Well, the freewheel goes with the gear set. So you can pick one out and screw it on. No tools for installation necessary. Just by pedaling the freewheel tightens up.

I changed mine for a single speed bmx sprocket. I tapped the old one off (destroyed it) and twisted the new one on in like 2 minutes. Super easy.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 PM

Yeah I noticed how easy it was when I had to get a new rim for my rear wheel(rim was bent from a 4-5 foot fall and bike shop said it would not be repairable). I bought a new rim and had the guy install my cassette to my new rim for $5 and I saw how easy it was, learning one day at at time .
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
Sounds good I always wondered if that was even possible to change the rear cassette since its an old bike i feel like most things are not compatible maybe its in my head. Sounds good too I tend to shift between just 5 gears anyways so that would be better ill first think of getting the shift kit. Thanks for the help thats all I needed to know!
If you've got a solid rear axle, I believe your setup is called 7-speed freewheel. They're not compatible with 5-7-8-9-speed cassettes.

My advice to you is to gear your bike as low (numerically high) as possible. If you don't, you'll have problems mountain biking and climbing steep hills. You absolute NEED the 11t-34t gears on the rear axle.

I'd suggest you use a 10t engine and 22t left-side jackshaft. Then a 9t right-side jackshaft and a 45t sprocket at the bottom bracket. Use a 30t chain ring sprocket and the 11-34t at the rear axle.

In first gear, you'll have a ratio of 51.74:1. In 7th gear, your gear ratio will be 16.74:1. This is like having a 125-toothsingle-wheel sprocket in first gear and a 40-tooth single wheel sprocket in 7th gear.

I hope this helps.

Tags
compatible, fast, jack shaft, road bike, shift