Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Frame Building questions

I've been using a Hobart MIG ready 130 with additional regulator for AR CO2 bottle and have been happy with it. For TIG you do spend more. I've used both. MIG if you buy should be one with a continuously variable amps control. I think with just A B C D settings I can not control low enough amps for very thin metal. This picture is of around 1/4 inch which it says it cannot do that thick in the instructions. I just go slower and made it work. Also you can make edges V shape for easier heat penetration and fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM29003.jpg (258.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: Frame Building questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEASURE TWICE View Post
I've been using a Hobart MIG ready 130 with additional regulator for AR CO2 bottle and have been happy with it. For TIG you do spend more. I've used both. MIG if you buy should be one with a continuously variable amps control. I think with just A B C D settings I can not control low enough amps for very thin metal. This picture is of around 1/4 inch which it says it cannot do that thick in the instructions. I just go slower and made it work. Also you can make edges V shape for easier heat penetration and fill.
+1 ^^ (cant 'like' on this forum ?) i am glad my mig had continuously variable settings , even the slightest adjustments can make a world of diffference on thinner materials as you said