Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains

Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains Can't find 'em, grind em - hubs and transmissions, problems and modifications to make you run smooth and trouble free

Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Chain Waxing

Good morning. I have done a search for chain waxing and Paraffin but come up empty.
I have been doing a bunch of different reading as I needed to rebuild a wheel with a different hub so I was searching building and truing and many other things. I came across many different articles and videos from the pedal bikers that highly recommend using paraffin wax on your chain rather than a messy lube. They say that it makes things smoother and the chain and sprockets last longer and stay cleaner.
My question is has anyone tried it? I have no qualms about doing it on my pedal chain but was wondering if any one had done it for their motor chain. Any reason why it would not work?
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Chain Waxing

I don't see how parrafin could get in the spaces to lube the rollers inside. Unless you plan to dip the chain in a can of melted parrafin.

You can buy motorcycle chain wax, it sprays on liquid to get in all the right places and then firms up.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Yes it is heated and then you put the chain in it. Some add paraffin oil to the mix. Once it has sat in the paraffin for a while you pull it out an it will have seeped into all the places it needs to be.
This is one video on how its done. This guy adds paraffin oil but others do not. Melt paraffin, soak chain, remove, wipe and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9nbwsaSHs

Last edited by MrBill; 03-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM

i have tried the commercial wax lubes and they are fine in dry conditions as stated on the container. i like the fact that sand and grit does not stick to them. what i do NOT like is how they work in wet conditions. your chain will get rusty ! a few times out this winter on a wet/damp road, possible mixed in residue from rd salt my chain had surface rust.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM

I've used toilet seal gasket wax with good results on motocross chain, and Alox bullet lube with even better results. Melted in a paint can (bought cheap at the hardware store), dipped chain, soak for a while, then hang to cool and dry. These waxes are softer than paraffin and do collect some dirt. Have another can with varsol, paint thinner, kerosene or a combo of all for cleaning before rewaxing.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:11 PM

I also use Maxima chain wax with good results. Not much weather to worry about here in So Cal.