Need tire size help

GoldenMotor.com

58er

Jun 14, 2015
Michigan
Need help with determining a tire size for a 1915 Harley belt drive bike I'm going to start, have frame bent up but not sure what size tire would be close to what was on original bike. I am thinking that a Fat Frank- 26 x 2.35 would be good. Any one use these before? I know there is a 26 x 3 Thick Brick tire also, would this be better? Here is picture of what I'm shooting for....Thanks

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The original Harley’s (and most motorcycles) of that era used 28” x 3”, an antique size that’s hard to find nowadays or very expensive to buy replica’s for. Those are about 10% larger than modern 26’ bicycle tires.

But 26” by far has the largest variety of options to choose from.

Either of the two you mentioned will look “right” on a bicycle based tribute, others here will likely have opinions about their durability...

-Kirk

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
The Fat Franks look good but there's no avoiding the fact that they are bicycle tires, not motorcycle tires. I started my build with the Fat Franks but ultimately switched to 21x2.15 motorcycle rims, which are cheap and readily available. Vintage looking tires are not though.

Here's a discussion I started on the bike tire / MC tire issue: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=56966

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
You can buy simplex servi cycle tires...26x3. They're better then bicycle tires but pricy