Carburator and other Questions

GoldenMotor.com

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
In the KTM50 world more resistance is better, means more winds in the coils or they haven't melted together yet, so it should make more spark energy with the higher resistance one I'm assuming.
I was assuming the same thing that higher or better ohms could create better spark but my worry is if this is true and it's supposed to be between 3 and 400 ohms will it be to strong?
One other thing could a loose spark plug cause the magneto to fail?
I was riding around yesterday on the way home ran into some wet weather as I got home she lost power backfired and quit. So of course I immediately suspected my newest waterproofing failed turns out, I was wrong the problem was simply that the spark plug vibrated loose causing the bike to stall no harm has come to it I tested everything and she's fine. But brought the question can this situation + a little water or moisture cause a magneto to short?
Thoughts anyone?
I think I am not tightening the spark plug enough unless this is something that happens and that after each time I stop the bike I should check the spark plug to stop further failures. I did get a few rides out of her yesterday it was the 1st day that I really got to ride her for any length of time. I made sure not to go over 30 minutes but did get at least 3 30 min rides before the plug vibrated loose enough to stall. The end of the muffler also vibrated loose and came off, I was lucky enough to notice and found it and have put it back on and am going to have to make a checklist of things to check, before each ride and after each stop like going to the store. I Can say I have learned lots since I got this damn thing, but many things would have gotten by me without this forum and all who take time to read and answer question's so thank-you all.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How tight are you tightening the spark plug. There are some kit instructions floating around out there that tell you to "finger tighten" the plug. This is WRONG!. I have no idea where they got that information but more than a few have followed it and their plugs fell out.

If you don't have a torque wrench you can use the old method; tightening the plug until it is snug then about 1/4 turn more.

Also we have done tests and found that a disconnected spark plug wire, or a plug that isn't grounded (touching the engine) and the crankshaft rotated fast enough to produce a spark can cause CDI failure.

As I said to you in an earlier post. Your problem is not moisture!

Tom

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
How tight are you tightening the spark plug. There are some kit instructions floating around out there that tell you to "finger tighten" the plug. This is WRONG!. I have no idea where they got that information but more than a few have followed it and their plugs fell out.

If you don't have a torque wrench you can use the old method; tightening the plug until it is snug then about 1/4 turn more.

Also we have done tests and found that a disconnected spark plug wire, or a plug that isn't grounded (touching the engine) and the crankshaft rotated fast enough to produce a spark can cause CDI failure.

Tom
it's obviouse I can't spell &someone over tightend there plug

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland

Tom
That's CDI failure haven't had that only Magneto death. I can guarantee the 1st magneto was Water The 2nd I am unsure this is why I am asking questions. The 3rd that I have in there now you could dunk it in a lake and water won't touch it. I first cut the white wire going to grab a 12 volt generator with battery system if you don't know about these I can provide an ebay link. I then wrapped in electric tape then strips of duck-tape making sure no way to get to the coil. I then slowly dripped wax covering all the tape creating a water proof barrier. I rode all yesterday and today with zero issue I am so happy right now I had to be careful to much tape or to much wax and then no room to install but I found the perfect medium between the two.
This is similar to the system I am looking into with this generator if works as advertised you can add a real light system with real signal lights and even a remote audible alarm system not sure if this is the actual seller I have been in contact with just did a quick search but if anyone wants the link to the guy I'm talking to with the battery packs and lights let me know there are battery packs and lighting systems both 6 and 12volt this link is not an advertisement nor do I take any responsibility with what you do with this I am only using to show what I am looking at hope this is ok here is link also interested in opinions and perhaps any one who has used or bought it http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPECIAL-DEAL...776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d30d10740 I am thinking that this product could be made much cheaper if we knew what he was actually doing cause it is expensive but doesn't hurt to look and dream of things I want lol I wonder if you could take a 2nd magneto and cut the bars down to fit where he says this goes drill holes and presto a power generator maybe I dunno
Again with that MAgneto that reads well over 500 ohms would it be good enough to use the white wire to charge a 6 volt battery? anyone the ohms thing has me thinking yet can't find answers to how the ohms will equate to adding power to it

Last edited: