Tinsmith's in frame gas tank for cantilever Schwinn.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan and I have been talking for some time about making a shroud for the EZM Q'matic transmission. He has one, too, for the 4 stroke Worksman build he's in the middle of. Neither of us is crazy about the plastic shroud that comes with it. We made the prototype yesterday and like how it turned out. The electroplate tin looks really good, I think, and one in polished copper would be awesome to go with a copper gas tank. This gas tank, by the way, is the prototype and is just the way it was when we finished making it. No polish or wax or clear coat. Just dirt and spilled gasoline, but still looks good. One of these days I need to clean up the whole bike. Pretty grungy looking up close, but looks nice from a distance!
SB

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
WOW, wow, and wow!!!! That looks so nice! I'm thinking of just keeping my plastic shroud, but if I had the money, I sure would like a shroud like that for the EZ :D

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glad you guys like the transmission shroud. I can't speak for Dan, but that's about it for me. No farings or fenders. I had three main things I wanted to accomplish this winter. I wanted to learn how to make a copper gas tank, wanted to develop a shroud for the EZ transmission and wanted to lace a set of wheels for the first time. Now I've done all three. By summer each thing will find itself on a 53 Schwinn cantilever build and now I know how to make these things, thanks to help from forum members, particularly Dan the tinsmith. This 53 build will be my entry in the 2012 4 stroke build off and will represent a big jump forward for me.
SB

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just winging it here, as that's what ya hafta do sometimes. Making an aluminum gas tank from a road sign that will fit in-frame and look cool......to be welded tomorrow.

cut by hand, bent and folded by hand.......no brakes or proper machinery used, just a vice., a forming hammer and pure muscle.

dnut

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They can be found at the recycling centers.

I never thought of useing one now I will have to and get one............Curt

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think we better wait and see what the outcome is...those signs are are not made out of the best aluminum and have a lamanted paint on them. Mix in a little graffiti coat and the welder is gona send you home with no welds completetd.

I am sure Scotto has thought of this already...

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
Glad I ran across this thank you for the detailed work. I don't have the money for it yet for my bike but have thought about a copper tank from the start. Really nicely done to both tanks