42 miles of He.....

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I think these motors were governed at the factory for a reason. They can barely take the power they pump out stock, never mind all these porting jobs & whatnot.

The thing about the SkyHawk verses the other engines isn't in the engine itself. I've worked on 4 or 5 of these motors that kids have around here (all from different sources), and the best built one I've found yet was a no-name one on eBay I bought from BGF. The kit itself sucked (they wanted me to drill through the frame, and the exhaust was a P.O.S. and the cap fell off after 5 or so miles) but the motor seems to pack more of a punch than the others. Bigger ports, square clutch pucks (if you do the math it translates into more surface area), and it's real easy to tune. I think the SkyHawk comes with the nicer kit, the motor is just the same cheezy motor as the rest.

The motors are meant for 2 kinds of people. Either someone that really wants a project, perhaps for their kids or just something cool to built on the cheap OR someone who needs a way to commute & can't get a real vehicle cuz they're broke as **** (like me). Riding a crap 4-stroking motor is a heck of a lot better than peddling a 20 mile round-trip commute to work.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My starfire (there all like a engine from a grab bag) has 1,400miles stock and has plenty of reliable power and runs better than new. cruising around 25-28mph and top speed 34mph. Sadly i have to get rid of it for legal reasons. Going for electric instead. Origional sparkplug and never had any broken studs.

Sometimes people get a bad engine kit and sometimes a bad mod job or install on the engine or parts and dig a hole and toss it in.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just because you've put x miles on a motor doesn't mean it's broke in. Dan said it best, when a motor finally breaks in you feel it, the rattles and noises suddenly go away and it just begins to purr along, it's almost like Nirvana. lol

I have to 2nd the BGF kit, other then soldering and drilling the jet I've had 0 problems with mine in almost 700 hard miles. Guess I got lucky though because my motor came with big downtube casting so no mods or special mounts were needed to mount it right on my Cranbrook.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ya those gears that usually whine a bit get quieter over time too just keep a small amount of grease on them. I yet to see one of these China's with quiet gearing at the clutch cover new.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I know the meaning of broke in finally I was just cruising along last week and My little gem just broke into the most beautiful gallop ever no four stroke no hesitation, Just going and going all puurrrrfffect like. I never heard my little engine sound like that. She's already two years old too. Anyways to put the cherry on the cake I was riding this afternoon and my baffle fell out of my muffler. It just went from brrrrrrrrrrr to BRAAAAAAAAAAA I looked over my shoulder just in time to see the baffle get flattened by a Semi. So She was running just perfect and now I need a muffler.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
After I put on my expansion pipe and welded the original muffler to it I was out riding when the two bolts that hold the muffler can on broke. When the muffler fell off and she started to roar it startled me so bad I almost went in the ditch. Have you ever been right next to a semi when they engage the Jake Brake? About the same sound. laff

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Guess I got lucky though because my motor came with big downtube casting so no mods or special mounts were needed to mount it right on my Cranbrook.
Dude, which one did you buy (BGF has a few different ones)? I've got a motor like that I bought used locally and have been looking for another.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I have it straightened out. I was able to eliminate nearly all the 4 stroking with my "Glade Can mod", by
Adjusting the length of the chamber and changing needle settings. It runs so much better and cruises nice finally. This engine is tougher than I thought. I take it all back, for now at least. : ) dnut

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
i have one of these skyhawk angle fire kits, and **** runs like ass. i have been ****ing with the carb to no avail. ive been trying to aviod buying a decent carb (dellorto) but looks like there are so many things you can try before spending a ****load of money.

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
LOL been there doing that with the skyhawk 66cc slant head. I just got a bgf motor and Iam trying all the pointers Ive picked up here like lapping the head and jug, port matching, jet soldering and using a expansion chamber before I install this motor. I also buffed out the exhaust port and used copper coat on the head and exhaust gaskets. I hope this helps my odds of getting a good motor this time. If this helps Ill try it on the skyhawk next. Thanks for all the great info on this site got to love it.