Coaster Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Just came accross Sheldon Brownes pros and cons of coaster brakes. I think it bears repeating here as so many people, I suspect, are uninformed about them.

Pro:
Coaster brakes are unaffected by weather. They work just as well in the rain as they do in dry conditions.
Coaster brakes generally require less maintenance than any other type of brake.

There are no cables running from the handlebars, giving a tidy and simple appearance.

The lack of cables is particualrly advantageous for folding or take-apart bikes.

Coaster brakes can be a good choice for handicapped riders who lack sufficient hand strength, or for arm amputees.

Coaster brakes are usually quite narrow, fit in 110-114 mm spacing , though they can be fitted to frames with wider spacing by adding washers along the axle.

Con:
Coaster brakes make it awkward to get started up, since there's no easy way to rotate the pedals to a good starting position.
Coaster brakes often cause skidding, resulting in excessive tire wear.

When coaster brakes fail (usually the result of chain breakage or derailment) they fail suddenly and completely.

Coaster brakes are prone to overheating and fading when used in mountainous areas.

Too many bikes are equipped with only a coaster brake, so there's no back-up system available in the event of brake failure.

To be safe, any bicycle needs a front brake and some sort of secondary backup braking system.

here's the link if you want to read it all.

Bicycle Coaster Brakes

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
Nice, its easy to forget about coaster brakes these days. You hardly ever even see them anymore, except on kids bikes. They do work as well in the rain as they do any other time, which is by far their best trait, IMO. Then again, I rarely ride in the rain, so maybe it isn't that big of a deal.:)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... in my ignorance I just assumed that coaster brakes would be the LAST choice for a MB given the inability to backpedal, I even thought they could be dangerous.

Of course that was before I joined this forum and saw just how many have them.

So - how much are they an issue with MBs? Do y'all like them? There's any number of bikes I looked at and didn't get because of the coaster brake...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Coaster brakes are my rear brake of choice because they leave the accessory hole available to mount motors.

I have had them fail only when I had a chain come off. Since I often forget to check my bike, I try to always install a front brake of some kind.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have coaster brakes on both my old Schwinn Americans, came as the only brake. I like them, but also agree that especially with higher speeds of a motored bicycle you need a front brake, too. I found new old stock adapters which allowed me to mount front caliper brakes on both of them. I find the combination entirely adequate for my usage. I don't anticipate the need for quick stops, just certain ones. I found the adapters on eBay and got nice wide reach pyramid calipers from bikeworldusa.
Silverbear

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
yeah i have a huffy beach cruiser with a coaster brake i really like it some time in the future i will put a front brake
Oh yeah, quite a few beach cruisers have them, also. In my old age I've started to forget things. What's my name again?

Coaster brakes are my rear brake of choice because they leave the accessory hole available to mount motors.

I have had them fail only when I had a chain come off. Since I often forget to check my bike, I try to always install a front brake of some kind.
Yeah, they're definitely the most space efficient brake ever invented. BTW, Deacon, I think I'm gonna petition Paul to have the words right below your name changed to 'major bike philosopher'.:)

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
They're ok as 1 part of a pair but I personally don't lik'em. Too many people rely on just a coaster and that's very dangerous. I'm really surprised at how many folks think that it's a good idea to find the cheapest bike w/ the cheapest componants and that's the one they want to strap a motor to!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
They're ok as 1 part of a pair but I personally don't lik'em. Too many people rely on just a coaster and that's very dangerous. I'm really surprised at how many folks think that it's a good idea to find the cheapest bike w/ the cheapest componants and that's the one they want to strap a motor to!
Well. I have to take exception to that statement. Just because a bike comes with just a coaster brake shouldn't rule it out as a good candidate for having a motor. My old /schwinn Americans are not cheap bikes. Made in 1963 in Chicago, they are still solid frames. I could spend a lot less for new ones. Having added new heavy duty rims, good tires and front caliper brakes, I think they are both pretty safe rides. None of the bicycles out there in stores were made for motors, so we have to make changes, improvements, watch every nut and bolt and constantly monitor the status of things. A front brake is necessary, but caliper is fine along with the rear coaster brake unless you are going for china girl bicycle land speed records, which most of us are not doing. I have no interest in going 40mph on a bicycle. I think most of us just ride these and enjoy them and are not pushing things to the limit, in which case a rear coaster brake along with a simple front caliper brake is adequate.
Silverbear

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Coaster brakes are perfectly fine for MBs... You should always add a brake to the front wheel!!!
I read somewhere that the front brake on motorcycles & bicycles is responsible for 75% of the stopping power!

Also, I'd like to add to this, that in my experience, when coaster brakes on MB's get hot, they can seize up & lock up the rear wheel!!! (not just fade)

If you use one, ADD A FRONT BRAKE!!!

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Santa got me a Schwinn from Western Auto when I was 8. (circa 1966)
I liked to skid to a stop. I had 3 paper routes for a few years and at least 1 or 2 all the time. I rode to school, karate, the grocery store and a few years later to the gas station many miles away that would sell kids cigarettes.
I worked the stuffing out of that bike for the next 7 years. I replaced countless tires and tubes but in all my life I have never seen a coaster brake fail.
Maybe I was just lucky but it's a nice big area of metal on metal friction.
I suspect they are the single most dependable type of bike brake out there.
That said, every system needs a back up.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I must put in my 2cents... Stopping is MORE important than going!

The OP is very good, yet I must agree with Venice.
I have had coaster brakes that faded, and others that locked up.

A MAB is quite similar to going downhill on a pedal bike, all the time!
The best stopping capability is very important, especially in traffic.

Other people are what is unpredictable, and perilous !

Best
rc