Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I've finally completed my bike so that I feel like it is ready to ride. It all
started out last November with just the basic bike and motor kit. What
I ended up with was this: Front and rear drum brakes laced with 12 gauge
spokes and motorcycle wheel bearings, Mikuni 18mm carb, 1986 Harley
Davidson Sportster2.2 gal. tank (E-Bay),12 volt 4.5 amp lead acid gel battery
mounted in a aluminum box, 12 volt 40 watt lawn tractor head light with 12v
LED tail light with brake light that works off of a 1972 Triumph/BSA front brake
cable with micro switch,Boost bottle, speedometer/odometer, tachometer with
time log. custom expansion chamber and custom chain tensioner wheel with 2
ball bearings. Top speed 41 mph (screaming at 7200 rpm) with a 41 tooth
sprocket. It will cruise comfortably around 35mph , which is fine with me.
I plan on installing a slant head on it next, to see how much if any improvement
shows. It's been more time consuming and more difficult than I thought it would
be. In fact I'd be a little embarrassed to admit how many days and hours I've
put into it. But, most of it has been fun though.

Attachments

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
REALLY REALLY NICE Outrunner!!!

I wouldn't be the least bit embarrassed about the time! Quality builds take time!

I see a familiar machined part on that bike...I'm proud to be part of it!

Jim
Jim, Yes, you are right. I forgot to add that I also have Creative Engineering's
clutch actuater kit. It's really the only RIGHT way to set up your clutch so that
it works smooth and easy, I love it! Thanks for the compliment too.
Fred

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Outrunner, that is a beautiful build, and I know what you mean about time spent. I don't tell people how many hours I have in mine but like Jim says a real quality build takes time.
That sounds and looks like a really safe bike to ride. That is also one of my main concerns. At my age I wouldn't take a crash very well. Great Job!

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beautiful, simply beautiful. That's a piece of work...and I mean that in the best way. Congratulations on a quality first build.
Tom

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
It is inspiring to see a really wonderful bike. Your attention to details are obvious. Best of Luck with it. Can you please share your set up and jetting of the Mikuni carb
Gene

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
It is inspiring to see a really wonderful bike. Your attention to details are obvious. Best of Luck with it. Can you please share your set up and jetting of the Mikuni carb
Gene
First thanks guys for the compliments I really appreciate them!
The 18mm Mikuni carb #VM18-144 comes with an 80 main jet, which is a little
on the rich side at top end, so I've got some various jet sizes above and below
the stock ones on order. I plan on using a 70 or 75 main jet. Currently I've located the 5 notch needle clip to the top, making it as lean as it can. It accelerates very
well and has rapid throttle response also. In order to mount the Mikuni, I had to
use a short piece of PVC tubing in order to reduce the spigot mounting inside
diameter, so that it would fit the intake manifold.That worked real well.I've been
trying to mount a UNI Filter to it, but so far I haven't gotten a good fit, so I'll
have to do some more mods to the filter and mount.

Attachments

joe-craft

Aug 6, 2008
hi, i love your bike. it is AWSOME, but i see one little flaw. the exhuast pipe to the expansion chamber. i see a crumpled spot in it. i think it would decrease performance alittle and the long pipe that you have, might not have the desired effect that you might be looking for with the expansion chamber, but other then that it is still WICKED AWSOME!

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
hi, i love your bike. it is AWSOME, but i see one little flaw. the exhuast pipe to the expansion chamber. i see a crumpled spot in it. i think it would decrease performance alittle and the long pipe that you have, might not have the desired effect that you might be looking for with the expansion chamber, but other then that it is still WICKED AWSOME!
Joe, I actually tried to mount the expansion chamber real closeto the engine, but the only route that might have worked was under the engine, and my center stand was in the way. I realize I could have used a side stand, but I chose not to do that. I was very curious how it would perform with the long pipe and the ex-chamber at the end, but it accelerates great and will hit 7200 rpm on my
digital tachometer. Keep in mind I opened and matched the ports and I can fine
tune the Mikuni carb til' the cows come home. The exhaust pipe does have a slight kink, but it's very slight. I had to heat the pipe cherry red to make it bend
and fit without binding. Yeah, I wish I could get that little kink out, but it would
be almost impossible to do without creating more problems. I certainly appreciate your observation and your compliments. It's definitely less than
perfect, but I can deal with it I guess.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Wowzer--utterly fantastic---i would not have the patience i prefer to get it together asap but good and safe and ride constantly---we have almost perfect temperature and lack of rains in the summer---if you get sick of it i will buy it lol