Please help, carb is leaking....

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all. Just got my offset intake manifold today. I tried installing it, but i noticed that i had to make a longer gas line. when i get everything hooked up and i let the gas flow, my carb leaks like crazy! Is there something i may have done wrong? My gas filter is about 2" from my petcock and the gas line (from the filter to the carb) is about 6" long. I was guessing i have the filter too close to the tank and the line is so long that its siphoning too much gas, but i'd like to hear from people that know. Please help, i gotta fix this before 1230pm today! (EST). I have a stock carb (guess thats NT, the regular BGF motor)

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Never mind, i got it. My float was either stuck or i had bent the float arm things so it would shut off..... now im still screwed because i broke my throttle cable and its at my house, im miles away lmao.....

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
srry too bump, but im having same problem gas is coming out bottom of carb and fuel filter, I already open the carb and clean i believe my gasket needs replace but also something is going on with my float too?

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Is your carb mounted level? If not, you may need to adjust the float so that it doesn't overfill and leak out the vent.
Yes its always been level, I cant find any videos on how too adjust the float, I guess when i take out the two bottom screws from the carb i will see the white float then take that out then adjust the little tabs not there? And will i need to replace the gasket seens i already open the carb or will i be okay?

Video below of me speaking about my problem recorded today.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvAMq2IlME&feature=youtu.be

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yes its always been level, I cant find any videos on how too adjust the float, I guess when i take out the two bottom screws from the carb i will see the white float then take that out then adjust the little tabs not there? And will i need to replace the gasket seens i already open the carb or will i be okay?
Don't mess with adjusting anything yet!

Shake the white donut or float to see if any gas is inside of it making it heavy
which overfills the bowl.

Next remove the pin and brass arms to take out the needle valve above it that
cuts off the fuel flow to the bowl when it is raised by the float.

You most likely have some crud in the brass seat that the needle valve seals against.

Blow out the fuel passage and clean the needle point with compressed air.
Do not scratch or damage the brass seat or needle tip.

Are you using an inline fuel filter to remove small particles that will cause the
overflowing to happen?
How clean is your gas tank?
Also check the screen in the tank on the fuel shut off valve if you have one.

Sometimes rapping the carb near the needle valve will work in the field to clean
out crud that is stopping the needle from sealing against the seat.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
im going to hardware store and buy some gasket sealer for gas, Also for the drain screw fix that also.
Your gasket is probably OK and can be reused.

The gasket does NOT stop fuel coming out your air filter.

That is caused by particles under the needle valve which
allows the flow of gas into the carb bowl without stopping.

Answer the question, is there fuel inside your float?
please read what I updated the previous post about.

Ignore the advice about adjusting your float level because it was
all working fine before it started flooding right?

Last edited:

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Your gasket is probably OK and can be reused.

The gasket does NOT stop fuel coming out your air filter.

That is caused by particles under the needle valve which
allows the flow of gas into the carb bowl without stopping.

Answer the question, is there fuel inside your float?
please read what I updated the previous post about.

Ignore the advice about adjusting your float level because it was
all working fine before it started flooding right?
I think there is fuel in the bowl because its leaking gas from out the carb where the gasket is and out the air vent holes.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Trash in the float needle and seat will cause this. Clean it out and get an inline fuel filter to prevent it happening again.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I think there is fuel in the bowl because its leaking gas from out the carb where the gasket is and out the air vent holes.
MBR isn't talking about gas being in the bowl. That should be present in any case. What he is asking is if there is gas inside the actual float. Gas caught inside there would cause the bowl to overflow.

So...
Clean out the carb completely (especially the bowl inlet).
Check to see if the plastic floaty thing might have a leak in it.
Install an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb.

You can test to see if the valve is working...
Take the float bowl off of the carb while mounted on the bike.
Hold the float up so the valve is keeping fuel from entering where the bowl would be.
Open the fuel petcock on the tank.
If fuel comes out with the inlet valve closed, then you have a bad seal.
This will also show you how the whole bowl system works too.

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
MBR isn't talking about gas being in the bowl. That should be present in any case. What he is asking is if there is gas inside the actual float. Gas caught inside there would cause the bowl to overflow.

So...
Clean out the carb completely (especially the bowl inlet).
Check to see if the plastic floaty thing might have a leak in it.
Install an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb.

You can test to see if the valve is working...
Take the float bowl off of the carb while mounted on the bike.
Hold the float up so the valve is keeping fuel from entering where the bowl would be.
Open the fuel petcock on the tank.
If fuel comes out with the inlet valve closed, then you have a bad seal.
This will also show you how the whole bowl system works too.
okay im going to try that thanks alot, i will let you guys know what it is.

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
While we are on the topic... my gasket needs replaced where can I go abouts buying one? Can I get a gasket that's premade?