Recommend a Reliable Kit for towing a Trailer in Yucatan this Winter?

GoldenMotor.com

lapo

Oct 12, 2009
Florence, IT
Hi All, new to the forum here and this is my first post. Ive yet to own a motorized bike but have been dreaming of it for a couple years now. Ill be spending the winter in the Yucatan and my plan is to be getting around by motorized bike. Im planning on getting a lockable trailer made when i get there to keep my gear and instruments in. Ill be doing research myself but thought id ask if anyone could recommend a reliable kit that could haul a 75-100 lb load. Im trying to keep the price to 200 or a bit more if necessary. If keeping within this budget means more work and tweaking on my part, than i can try to make that work. Thanks Alot, Lapo

SubieGuy

Sep 3, 2012
Canada
More than a few people here are in favor of the "flying horse" engine kits. I personally have one and so far its been great!

As for your towing needs; I can't see any kit being reliable enough on its own to tow that much weight. I'd personally look into a shift kit to go with the engine.

lapo

Oct 12, 2009
Florence, IT
Interesting. I talked with a well known kit seller and he said his 4 stroke kit would do the job. It was a super titan xc50s and rear mount chain drive. It was a bit out of my budget, though. So maybe the cheaper flying horse woulding really be up for it? It sure looks like an attractive kit. Can you recommend a quality, affordable shift kit? Thanks alot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum.

I perfer Flying Horse also. I think an 80 would get the job done, but you might need to drop the gearing a little. I think you'd do alright with a 46 or 48 tooth rear sprocket. Stock is 44.

SubieGuy

Sep 3, 2012
Canada
You'll find that shift kits will cost about the same as an engine. As far as I know, Sickbikeparts has the best shift kit out there for the money.

OblivionsKey

Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
Honestly I would recommend a 4 stroke with enough torque. Because personally I wouldnt wanna have to find a runway for the 2 stroke and then get going fast enough with a 100 lb trailer to start the 2 stroke. Hopefully with the 4 stroke you could just pullstart it, let it warm up a bit and then pull away ( and you could easily help it by pedaling but atleast your engine would be already cranked ). But anywho that's just my 0.02$