What tools do you take with you? [pic]

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Here is my spread, minus my hex key set which was in the house.
Carry it with me in case... You only have to break down once to appreciate them later.
( I travel 30km a day, round trip, to work) The scissors are more for weed really...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That's not bad. Pretty good set there.

Me, I got a trunk. And I got a strong-running engine. So I don't pack as light as I could (and probably should). I carry what you have there plus a battery tester, mini flashlight, test leads, spare batteries & light bulbs, tire patch kit, zip ties, tire pump (it fits in there, really) and probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I used to carry just about every tool I might need to work on the bike, plus a tire pump, fix a flat, and my gas can in my trunk. I had a huge freakin' trunk that came off a honda motorcycle. I could have carried a full load of groceries in that trunk. Ended up getting rid of it because it was way too big to look right on the bike. I began to trust my technical abilities more, and stopped carrying tools after awhile.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I couldn't have cared less about this post and passed it up many times, that is, until last night when the nuts vibrated right off my muffler. Had to call some friends (who think I'm nuts) to bring me a wrench. Had to take nuts off the rear sprocket to fix the muffler. Going to start carrying a small tool set and spare nuts and bolts. However, I could actually have pedaled the thing home but what fun would that be?

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Friday I am getting my head/tail lights, and tire kit, so I will probably also have spare bats and tire repair with me too. I have a light on my keychain.

If I needed to ride light, I would probably drop down to a adjustable wrench ( as much as I hate em) and vice grips. And possibly a flathead.

Last edited:

dan428

Jul 9, 2012
USA
I couldn't have cared less about this post and passed it up many times, that is, until last night when the nuts vibrated right off my muffler. Had to call some friends (who think I'm nuts) to bring me a wrench. Had to take nuts off the rear sprocket to fix the muffler. Going to start carrying a small tool set and spare nuts and bolts. However, I could actually have pedaled the thing home but what fun would that be?
why not just carry the muffler and ride home to fix it? muffler isn't essential for the engine is it? it can still run without as far as i know.. just with more noise..

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Two or three tire irons
a spoke wrench
small screwdriver
small crescent wrench
10 mm wrench
one or two allen key wrenches
all in an old sock in a nylon seat bag

one spare tube

and I have a 10 inch pump lashed in the front basket

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I carry a patch kit and pump, an 8mm and 10mm wrench, phillips and standard screwdrivers, and a couple hoseclamps and a small roll of baling wire, and pliers (sm. visegrips)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cell phone, smokes, and a lighter.

pretty much everytime something breaks on my bike, i can't fix it on the side of the road.

i don't have bolts falling off or little things breaking, i have pistons grenading from trying to get too much out of these little toy engines.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is my spread, minus my hex key set which was in the house.
Carry it with me in case... You only have to break down once to appreciate them later.
( I travel 30km a day, round trip, to work) The scissors are more for weed really...

For weed I use a machete........we have very large weeds in SoCal.....come to think of it, NorCal too. Really...

dnut

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use some vice grips like that on male slaves- it's "the tool paid for by tools"

Hey Bairdco, my "little toy engine" rarely breaks when I'm not trying to get everything out of it, and it saves me all kinds of gas money.

Here in Florida, it's rained ALL spring and summer so I've had to take the car more than I dio in the peak of winter even, and it's costing me a whole $20 a month to keep the Aspire going! I figure the rain has cost me $50 or $60.

Almost everything that can loosen on my bikes is covered by a 10 spanner- the small crescent does the rest.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I usually carry a spare engine and sometimes a spare collapsible bike.......depends on the length of the ride ;) A cell phone and cash come in very handy sometimes as well. AAA if ya have the duckets and ya just can't pedal home :D

.wee.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
kat, i've had a few motors last me over 10k miles, and that's heavily modified,45+mph, but street use only.

once i started racing them, they don't last as long.

dave rust from arrow cycles put it into perspective for me.

the tracks we race on are just under a mile. 2 heat races are 6-8 laps each, with a 12 lap final. plus a lot of practice laps.

one day of racing puts at least 50 miles on my bike, all at full revs, slipped clutch, and flat out in the straights.

in a race, if it starts rattling, clanking, or anything else, i don't care as long as it makes it across the finish line.

most of the time it does. if it doesn't, oh well. since no one's invented a piston rebuilding tool, i need a bottle opener and a lighter to get through the rest of the race day.

and the bottle opener is optional...:)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
kat, i've had a few motors last me over 10k miles, and that's heavily modified,45+mph, but street use only.

once i started racing them, they don't last as long.

dave rust from arrow cycles put it into perspective for me.

the tracks we race on are just under a mile. 2 heat races are 6-8 laps each, with a 12 lap final. plus a lot of practice laps.

one day of racing puts at least 50 miles on my bike, all at full revs, slipped clutch, and flat out in the straights.

in a race, if it starts rattling, clanking, or anything else, i don't care as long as it makes it across the finish line.

most of the time it does. if it doesn't, oh well. since no one's invented a piston rebuilding tool, i need a bottle opener and a lighter to get through the rest of the race day.

and the bottle opener is optional...:)

Carry some spare pistons and related parts to the races. I use a bic lighter for a bottle opener.......

See me in the pits, I'll pop the caps off your beer bottles. Wait a minute....I've only seen you drink beer out of cans.......what's the bottle opener for?

laff

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Here's most of mine.. minus a bundle of 10" cable ties, and the air pump strapped under my crossbar. I have a ziplock bag if misc fasteners in the frame bag under the tank, a roll of electrical tape, tire patch kit, the chain tool and spare link and clips, and a spark plug.

All of this is in a small bag in one of my carriers with a couple of rags and a spare innertube:

Needlenose and regular pliers.
Screwdrivers
Wrenches: 1 x 8mm, 2 x 10mm, 2 x 14mm
Multitool
Plug wrench
Allen wrenches (roadside find (^) )

Attachments