Monark fork bearings

GoldenMotor.com

gshock300

Sep 3, 2011
Brisbane
Hey guys,

I bought a Monark II springer fork and just mounted it onto my Huffy mambo 26" beach cruiser. The forks came with its own set of bearing cups and cones plus bearings but the cups were too big in diameter to fit into the frame fork tube. They were too big by about a 1mm so I had to leave the original cups in the frame, I didnt think this would be a problem because the bearings that were supplied with the forks looked exactly the same as the original ones on the bike.
When I installed the fork with the new cones and old cups, I have slop between the fork stem and the fork tube. I cant tighten the stem bearing nut anymore or the forks will just seize up. Im thinking my best option might be to try and get a set of bigger bearings to take out the gap between cups and cones. Is this feasible?

gshock300

Sep 3, 2011
Brisbane
I have tried with the original races and they make no difference. I cant use my original cones though because the new fork stem has a slightly larger diameter. The original bottom cone wont slide down the new stem, they have used a slightly larger stem tube and machined the diameter down half a mm or so where they have cut the thread at the top.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Did you get the 1 1/8" stem tube instead of the 1" stem tube???Thats all I got.... Maybe you should PM Norm at Venice Motor Bikes.

gshock300

Sep 3, 2011
Brisbane
Not sure what Ive got, I was told by Dave at Monark when I bought the forks that there was only 1 size they made and it was a universal fit for these old school style front ends (huffy, schwinn etc). Ive emailed him again to see what exactly he sent me.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
As far as I know, Dave at Monark still uses the exact same headsets that I do... (Sunlite # 35334)
The OP might try demeling the inside of the frame a bit to see if he can get the bearing cups to fit.

Last edited:

gshock300

Sep 3, 2011
Brisbane
Dave said hes only got one size he supplies, Ill have to see if there are adapter kits that allow me to go from one headtube size to a different stem size tube.

thanks guys