Is this the proper Engine oil?

GoldenMotor.com

fraser

Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver
Hello just bought a engine kit from zoombicycles looks good. Almost done the installation. I bought some Oil from canadian tire today it is AMSOIL Interceptor synthetic 2-cycle oil. My engine is a 66cc 2 stroke is this right?
Also what octane of gasoline should I be using regular or a higher octane.

Thanks, Fraser

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow.
That's good oil.
I'd break it in for the first tank at 30:1, running it easy and letting it cool down.
Then switch to 40, then 50:1 and never, ever worry about lack of lubrication.
and if I were u I'd get a second opinion! :)
What does it say on the container???
Best
rc

fraser

Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver
Thanks for the quick reply!
On the instructions it says to break it in at 16-1 that seems like alot of oil what is the reasoning to this?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your oil comes highly recommended by many members who use it. You'll be good with it, no doubt.
As for gasoline, there has been a lot of discussion here regarding the pros and cons of high octane verses low. Do some research and reading then decide for yourself which you'll want to use. I'm personally of the opinion that our little low compression engines run just fine on the cheap stuff but I'll get arguments on that.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
16:1 is too much oil. Start at 24 to 30:1 then move down from there. Always follow the recommendations of the oil manufacturer instead of the questionable advice offered in the kit instructions.
Tom

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I use universal 2-cycle oil that I buy at walmart. I started with lucasoil, but only used it for the break-in and a little while after. Lucasoil is a fine oil I'm sure, but I could only find it in small quantities locally and buying it by the pint on ebay wasn't saving me any money. I found the universal oil at walmart and a pint costs about $6, vs the $12 I was spending on a pint of lucasoil. My engine is 68.5cc purchased from boygofast on ebay. had it almost a year and been using the universal oil most of that time with no problems. I run 4oz/gal with 92 octane.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The problem with synthetics is they do their job too well. Motor builders recommend you use a mineral base non-synthetic for the break-in period. You can find small bottles of 2 stroke oil for chainsaws at large department stores. Poulan has small bottles that mix with about a gallon of gas. Run that until you run out of that mix then shift to the synthetics. 32:1 is a good starting ratio then whatever suits your fancy. Many here are running Opti-something at as much as 100:1. That's a little thin for me but many swear by it. The old racer in me likes the Maxima K2 oil I'm useing. Kinda expensive but so is a new motor :)