sd stinger?

GoldenMotor.com

yehtti

Jan 6, 2012
coos bay oregon
hello im new to motor bicycling and im looking for a motor that will last a few years and not be outragously expensive ive been looking at the sd stinger can anyone whos used these before tell me about how long they last

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Does this engine have a large round decal on the clutch cover (right side of the engine) with a yellowjacket showing his stinger? You have bought it and it's being shipped already? A little late for the question you are asking, I have no idea about this engine but......welcome to the forum(^)

dnut

yehtti

Jan 6, 2012
coos bay oregon
yes it does have a bumble bee on it and if it wont last long i know someone who will buy it i just need to find about how long i can expect it to last

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't know Stingers, and there are no pics here, but I may still be able to help. Take a long hard look at the fit and finish. If you have the tools and know-how to put it back together, take it apart and check it out. You may see some things that will give you trouble later, or parts you may want to change out for something better.
Basically, you want to get an idea if it will be worth the trouble to you. I have heard that these little 2-stroke engines can differ greatly in quality, often even ones from the same manufacturer. About all you can do is determine if yours is made well enough to run for a good while. Then, it's up to you to assemble and mount it correctly, check all nuts, bolts, fittings, carburettor set-up, proper break-in procedures, maybe a better spark plug, etc.
The better it's adjusted and treated, the better it'll run.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I have a stinger engine... They are pretty good quality. Good casting on the cooling fins, 415 chain and sprocket, ball bearing idler. Really, all of these engines are very similar (and probably come from the same factory). The most important thing is being able to return it for refund or replacement if there is an issue. I know for a fact that the owner of SD Stingers will answer emails pretty quickly, but don't even bother to try and call. If there is an issue, he will take care of you...

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
I have one. Bought mine in 2009. I only had to replace the head gasket so far, have roughly 2800 miles on mine. Well also replaced the stock flat head screws on the motor & plate covers with allen head bolts. But if you use a good oil & tune your carb correctly with a good exhaust pipe you should have a great time with that motor. Welcome to the forum!! .shft.

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
im sure the stinger is the same or very similer to any other Chinese kit.
and Chinese kits do last a while if you put them together right.you should be fine.