Hello from Texas, from a fellow scooterist

GoldenMotor.com

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
Hey folks,

I’m a former scooter tuner and recently got an itch to play around with motor bikes. I say former, because after messing with scooters for over 10years I just want to try something new and different. As far as my past scooter projects go, most of my builds were to take 50cc 2strokes and make them haul ass and fly, you can check out some of my work here:
http://scootspecs.wordpress.com/showroom/

I’d like to take what I’ve learned and see what I can do with a motorbike build.

So, some questions for yall:
Where do you actually ride your motorbike? On-road/off-road? Parks?
For as many kits there are online, I very rarely actually see anyone riding a motorized bicycle.

For the motor kit I like this kit from bikeberry.com, is it any good/better than the cheaper kits?
Mega Motors Black 66cc/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit BikeBerry.com

As far as a bike to start with, I like one from walmart. But just not sure if the motor will fit the frame.
Walmart.com: Kent La Jolla 26" Men's Cruiser Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

Thoughts? suggestions? Any are much appreciated.
.ride7a

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I have been riding my motorized bike around Katy for over a year without any interest from law enforcement.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Hello and welcome. I am building a La Jolla at this very moment. The engine mounts okay but you will need extra wide pedal crank and an offset manifold for the carb. The front mount was a little tricky but I found some long studs to use there so that is working out okay. I think you will have fun building it. It just won`t be as easy as some of the other beach cruisers to just be starting out.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
Hello and welcome. I am building a La Jolla at this very moment. The engine mounts okay but you will need extra wide pedal crank and an offset manifold for the carb. The front mount was a little tricky but I found some long studs to use there so that is working out okay. I think you will have fun building it. It just won`t be as easy as some of the other beach cruisers to just be starting out.
Glad to hear this kit should fit the La Jolla, I think its a great looking bike.

What is an extra wide pedal crank, and where can I get it? Or is this something I have to modify?

Not too worried about the manifold, I plan to go all out eventually and see how far I can modify for more performance.

The only thing I am kinda worried about is stopping, with only a rear coaster brake. What are my options for adding a front brake?

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I started out with Walmarts Huffy Cranbrook. It has heavy rims and heavy spokes, and the Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit fit really well except for the front motor mount. The tube is large, and needed a small modification on the mount. I've read that aluminum frames aren't the best for these builds, and the Cranbrook costs less. I bolted on front and rear caliper brakes on mine with no problem, and used the dual brake lever to operate them.

Last edited:

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Glad to hear this kit should fit the La Jolla, I think its a great looking bike.

What is an extra wide pedal crank, and where can I get it? Or is this something I have to modify?

Not too worried about the manifold, I plan to go all out eventually and see how far I can modify for more performance.

The only thing I am kinda worried about is stopping, with only a rear coaster brake. What are my options for adding a front brake?
The La Jolla has a three piece pedal set up. You have two pedal cranks,one left and one right. The shaft that connects the two together is the third piece. The factory one is too short for clearance of the motor and the exhaust. You can get one from several places. I got mine from the same source as my 2 stroke kits. I get them all from BGF(BoysGoFast,com). I have heard several people complain about aluminum frames being weaker than the steel frames but it seems odd that the only frame that had cracked with me was a steel one and that was one bike out of probably 80 bikes. !2 of the bikes were aluminum and the rest have been steel. If you can get your mounts to align perfectly with the frame and have them mounted securely to the frame then the engine vibes should have no major effects on the frame where the mounts are touching. Everything has to be tight and line up almost perfectly for everything to work and to last a good long time. If not,then you get breakdowns and cracked frames.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I am adding a front springer fork setup with front caliper brakes on it. That should help with the coaster brake on the rear. Later I will be adding one of Spookytooth rear wheals with the built in brake set up and heavy duty bearings.

Last edited:

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
Thanks for the suggestions guys, really helps.

The Huffy Cranbrook was my second choice. I think I may go with that one for my first build, and save the La Jolla for when I have more experience with motor bikes.

porch lizard, where did you source the caliper brakes and dual brake lever?
do they just mount bolt-on directly to the existing forks and frame or does anything have to be modified?

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Burnt Toast... I salvaged the brake calipers off another bike I had. They bolt up to the fender mounts with no problems. I don't remember exactly where I got the dual brake lever, but if you check with MB kit sellers, or on the internet, you should find them. The Cranbrook is my first MB build, and so far I'm happy with the outcome. I'd like to have springer front end, or mountain bike telescoping forks, but so far I don't see the need for them. Check out all the Cranbrooks that have been built, and they mention problems with fenders cracking and coming loose, and the rear hub brake lever being a problem. The fenders can be braced for safety, and on mine the rear hub was not a problem. I did enlarge the hole on the rear sprocket to fit the hub, but the brake lever clears fine. Have fun with your project.

Attachments

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
well looks like I'm gonna hold off on the motor-bike project for a little while, just picked up a new scooter for a deal I couldn't pass up

I think I will give the motorbike plan a go when it warms up in the Texas spring, weathers been real muggy as of late.

donb, do you think you could share some pics and progress of your La Jolla build? I'd love to see it come together and go that route instead. In quest for performance power to weight seems much better with an alum frame bike.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
If you're going to use a kit, I'd suggest buying it in the off season. The prices will jump from the $120 range to over $300 during the busy season if you can even find one.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
If you're going to use a kit, I'd suggest buying it in the off season. The prices will jump from the $120 range to over $300 during the busy season if you can even find one.
wow, do motor bikes really get that popular when it warms up?

I'm just surprised because during the whole summer here in TX I've only seen like 2

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I've never seen one in Tyler, but I have seen some Craigslist ads for them in this area.

I'm actually a bit surprised that I haven't seen any since I live close to UT Tyler and Tyler Junior College.

The prices really do go up in the summer though. Even ebay prices are ridiculous! There also seems to be a summertime shortage of engines and kits from the Chinese importers.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
So I've decided to go on and do the motor bike thing, but with a 4stroke twist

Still need to source parts and all that but I will definitely keep track of things on this great forum

thanks everyone

brnotdance1