Inside muffler?

GoldenMotor.com

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
I took my muffler apart (I had it off the motor because of frame clearence issues) just because I could and never had, and to see if it was clogged and this is what I got. Looking at it closely I see what may be broken welds. Is this as it should be or does something look broke to you?

Attachments

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
It sure looks likes a broken weld on the end of the one tube... what does the place of attachment look like?

rc
The first piece on the left is the muffler body. The next piece I will call the baffle, the next piece is a drilled tube attached to the center of the end cap that is screwed to the body when it is assembled. There is a round plate about halfway up the tube, which is currently free to slide up and down the tube. I suspect that it may have been welded up at the free end of the tube, and the baffle would have sat on it. This seems as though it would have directed the exhaust gases, after they had passed through the baffle, down the center of the drilled tube, out it's drilled holes and out through the small pipe in the end cap. Everything is too covered with oil and soot to look for a tack weld break, and I don't know anything about how mufflers are assembled, but there are tiny irregularities that might have been tack welds. Does this help? There are no holes through the outer tube or anywhere there should not be.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The 'baffle' as you call it is the catalytic element for EPA purposes, which is held on by a screw way up inside the muffler tube, near where the exhaust enters the muffler.You should be able to find a hole up there that the screw would pass through to hold it in place. (You can toss it if you want, its purpose is to satisfy the EPA). The round plate should not slide up and down, it should be welded in place, it acts like a seal so that all of the exhaust gases are forced into the center of the tube and come out of the small holes drilled in the tube and then out.

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
The 'baffle' as you call it is the catalytic element for EPA purposes, which is held on by a screw way up inside the muffler tube, near where the exhaust enters the muffler.You should be able to find a hole up there that the screw would pass through to hold it in place. (You can toss it if you want, its purpose is to satisfy the EPA). The round plate should not slide up and down, it should be welded in place, it acts like a seal so that all of the exhaust gases are forced into the center of the tube and come out of the small holes drilled in the tube and then out.
Many, many thanks, sir! I will weld and reassemble that rascal tomorrow and hopefully get it back on the road. brnot

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The baffle is the header tube when it's inside the exhaust's chamber.

Then you have exhaust body.

Palladium insert is for reducing bad stuff in the air.

Then there's the stinger, (which is where you would tune a stock exhaust [length for top end, shorten for low end])

Lastly, end cap, which caps at the end.