Motorized Bikes are AWESOME! Why do people do this????

GoldenMotor.com

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
I've been working on my bike for over a month now, and damn I am really into this now!

Just about every day I ride it around town, and if I don't get the chance then i'll take it out after sunset. Not trying to sound weird by any standard, but god, when I get my bike rolling at 30mph its like "YEEEAAAHHH BAAAABBBBYYYY!!!"

I'll be having a good happy time, but then BAM, people drive by and flick me off and yell offensive things. Why do they do this?
-are they jealous that i can bend the street rules a little without getting caught?
-do they wish they had my bike?
-are they so happy for me that they can't hold themselvs back??
or..
-is it some psychological thing, and they're confused that they've never seen such a "contraption"?
-do they truly hate me for trying to have fun and be a little different?
-do they think it's less cool than a moped? because it's not. i've been racing my friends mopeds a lot lately and they all lose!

I mean COME ON! Some people are serious moment-killers....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Just a thought: I don't know if you've got mirrors or even turn signals, so make sure you haven't been cutting them off. That tends to get most people's goat.

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
Sometimes i'll run a stop sign or I'll break a 15mph speed limit, but thats about it. My lights work great....Some people have to be jerks though. I can drive a car, but lately i like riding my bike more, cant people just let me be?

I dont know, all the seniors around here seem to find it interesting, people just don't appreciate home-engineering these days...lol

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm sorry but I have to say I think it's an Eastern thing. I have never got anything but a positive response to my bike. Bewildered looks are the only thing even close to negative. Older guys come up to me and start talking about the Whizzers they always wanted and such. I've been smiled and waved at by the local police, little kids want one, women fall at my feet....well...not really ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I unno about that Dave, all I ever get is (^) or sometimes a o_O and if I was any more east, even a lil - I'd be swimming lol ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
No negatives around here, infact most people are in awe and cheering the amazing high-ish speed, gas saving two-wheeled vehicle that keeps up with traffic and looks so fun to ride. Can't blame them:D

dnut

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I ride in Maryland in the fall,winter and early spring. I never get an overt negative response and often a thumbs up, waves and sometimes somebody slowing down to give a compliment. I do stop at stop signs, don't speed and stay to the right side of the road. I am more careful about road courtesy and staying within the law on my bike than I am in my truck. I'm also more vulnerable and thus more cautious. If you ride like a hot dog outlaw you will get pissed off drivers who'd like to run you into the ditch. Guys who are riding pedal bikes and act like rules of the road don't apply to them somehow piss me off and I love bikes.
SB

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I ride in Maryland in the fall,winter and early spring. I never get an overt negative response and often a thumbs up, waves and sometimes somebody slowing down to give a compliment. I do stop at stop signs, don't speed and stay to the right side of the road. I am more careful about road courtesy and staying within the law on my bike than I am in my truck. I'm also more vulnerable and thus more cautious. If you ride like a hot dog outlaw you will get pissed off drivers who'd like to run you into the ditch. Guys who are riding pedal bikes and act like rules of the road don't apply to them somehow piss me off and I love bikes.
SB
Awesome lol and ain't it grand how reason and a bit of common sense circumvent many of life's little complexities.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I've also been riding in Maryland for a little over 2 years now.

Most people are fascinated and somewhat confused to see me riding my bike.
I get a lot of thumbs up from people at red lights.

I get people yelling stuff at me if they are walking. I have no intention of turning around to find out what they want.

Teenagers all think it's really cool..... or laugh at me. Go figure.

Middle aged guys like me all seem to be the most interested because they must be having childhood flashbacks.

I think if you drive sensibly and don't be an ass, people are pretty cool about it.

By the way, where in Harford county are you?

TiM

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
feel lucky all they d is yell things
One member here had a car stop short and open his passenger door and sent the bike into a ditch
The guy that got me into these things was pushed off the road against a curb and smashed his foot
As he was lying there with a severely broken foot two people rode by and called him a "fag"

Personally the worst I have gotten is an offer to buy a bike for $150

It might be because I live and ride in a little hick town, they were in the city.
I'll know better next month when I move to downtown Orlando

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We don't have that problem here in Texas. You just pull your gun out and fill their car full of holes. No jury will convict you when they find out you were offended by the driver looking at you crossways.

Normally everyone is very polite and friendly, even the crackheads.

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
I've only had one retard on the bike/walkpath on the beach here. He was **** bent on stopping me, held his arm out at me! just to tell me that I wasn't a bicycle and that I can't ride on it. What a ******bag! I just excused myself and he said something about calling the cops. The cops here don't do anything to me , but smile. Takes them a minute to see the little motor down there. I get nothing but smiles and looks. So far no incidents on the road, but I have lights all the way around and I use hand signals, wear a helmet, and play it cool. If I see somebody on a bikeway, I slow to about 12MPH and give plenty of room just to be safe. So far, this has been the most fun I've ever gotten out of $150!

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
they are so jellous that u at 30 mph are saying yyyyyeeeay baby they cant contain them selves i know what you mean its the best feeling in the world when im cruzing along at 30mphll out loud wwwwwwwhhhhhoooooooo