I broke my cherry!

GoldenMotor.com

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
...and finally got a gas cruiser (what did you think I was talking about?);).
I am completely new to anything about combustion engines and especially these kits. Everything seems to be sound and my first ride was a 50km ride across the city of Toronto. I have a few questions however about operation, care and what to do in case of failure. Sorry if these questions seem dead basic but I really have no idea what I'm dealing with here since I am coming off an electric bike and basically an electric/electronics geek. I am mechanically inclined though and have no problem working on it when the time comes.

Operation:
-When coasting, am I causing damage by leaving the clutch engaged (lever out) or do I have to disengage it?
-The seller explained the choke but I am still not clear about using it. What's the procedure for warming up the engine and using this lever? He said it has to stay closed when the engine's 'cold' and the open it quickly when it warms up.
-I went full throttle a couple times on my first ride and I wonder if that caused any damage. How often can I safely go full throttle?
-There is no chain tension wheel but the bike seems to run fine. Is it essential?

-Sometimes I engaged/disengaged the clutch too quickly. Is that bad?

Maintenance and Failures:
-I leave this bike in the back yard and since winters around the corner, if leaving it out in the cold weather going to affect the bike?
-What's the first problem that I can expect to encounter from this bike? Or, what the most common failure?
-What the longest distance I can travel (provided I have enough fuel) before I can expect a failure (based on common experiences)?
-Do I have to, one day, take the whole thing apart and clean it or replace anything?

I probably have more questions soon but these are the ones I have off the top of my head.

Thanks for your answers and I'm looking forward to learning more from this community!zpt

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
hi

Thanks for the reply!
I knew engine braking would be a problem and I didn't do it much on my ride because it slowed too hard.

How often, would you say, should I clean the air cleaner and carb and how do i clean them?

and is the chain slack measured from the top or bottom where the tension wheel would be?

Last edited:

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
thanks again. one more question. what exactly is the purpose of the tensioner? Is it used just to keep the chain from smacking against the bike frame? Does it help the bike run smoother/faster?

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
There are a few opinions on spark plugs. Most people use NGK of one model or another. I use NGK B5HS, and you can find them on line with a little help from you're friend Google. I recommend buying two or three just so that you have an extra if one day you suddenly realize that you need it.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
My Canadian Tire (in Thunder Bay, Ontario) carries all common brands like Champion, Bosch, NGK, etc. You have to check in their small engine/lawnmower section, not the auto section. I have the NGK B6HS myself which was the spark most suggested to me by members of this board. I'm sure 'Crappy' Tire carries it. However, I got my plug from Sick Bike Parts because I was also ordering a few other parts including the dual pull brake lever.

skaliwag66

Feb 4, 2010
canada
Crappy Tire indeed! :D I hate the Canadian Tire money and reaching into my pocket thinking I'll pull out a 20 only to pull out a 5 cent bill. Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure they had any NGK plugs when I checked online. There's also a NAPA store not too far from me where I can grab one.