Why is derailleur default set to high gear?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi to all on the forum,
I don't know if this is the proper section of the forum to post this, or if this is even the proper forum for this post, but here goes:

I am most familiar with a Schwinn Typhoon type of bicycle, coaster brakes, etc., and not so familiar with bicycle with derailleurs and hand brakes.

Why is the default setting (by this I mean the gear selectors are fully released and are applying the least amount of tension to the shift cables) of a bicycle set up so that the front derailleur is on the biggest sprocket and the rear derailleur on the smallest sprocket?

This means that the bike is in the highest gear, and if you want to go riding, you would most likely want to immediately shift into a lower gear.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the bike to be in its lowest gear when not being used? Then you could jump on and start riding right away, without having to immediately start fumbling with gears and all?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Bike shops do this to set the proper tension on the cable for shifting. Some bike mechanics are nice and while the bike is still in the stand they will shift to a lower gear for just that purpose. This way when a customer gets on for a test ride they don't have to fumble with trying to find a proper gear.