48cc ban?

GoldenMotor.com

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
i herd that it could happen in 12 t0 18 months due to the government trying to get rid of 2 smokers due to emissions and that china will have to meet the U.S specs in order to sell these motors, there was also something about bigger companies (STIHL and others selling mass quantities of chainsaws and other yard tools) feeling undercutted by the standards they must follow that these china companies are getting away with. I plan on stocking up in the next few months just in case this happens

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
well. I have dealt with the same guy on multiple occasions, and each time he's been solidly honest with me in our dealings ,which is why I come back to him specifically. I know from JUST reading an article on MSNBC that we are going to start heavy tariffs on Chinese imports as a whole, as well as taxes for the companies here that distribute,meaning our lil China Girls are gonna have to be paid big money for like Vegas hookers.

SO.

The next obvious question is: Who are making these engines here up to par with the EPA, and what type of patents do these engines have on em? I mean..tons of different companies over there are making them, so why can't we find a way to reverse engineer, improve on standards, and mass produce it here? I actually do know an owner of a local West Michigan metal shop who does parts for GM as well as the aeronautics industry..

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Mass produced here? Yea for maybe $500 to $1000 per engine. There is no way on earth that we can compete with China for cheap goods.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
if they do ban the chinese imports, it won't be a matter of competition, it will be a matter of perpetuating a market. If I could get an engine that didn't need constant repairs and was reliably built and produced locally, I'd be ok with a $500 tag on it. I've already had to put over $130 in parts and mods on the engine I paid $200 for, so to me it's an even trade.

It is the battle of quality vs quantity. You want to spend cheap all you get is cheaply made..

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
They went after two stroke lawn mowers and out boards years ago and made them run cleaner or they went to four stroke. You don't see two stroke lawn mowers any more.

They were hot after chain saws too but a four stoke is heavier and and can't be tipped at different angles.
Think the China girl are going to be a victim of thier own sucess and the tree huggers.

Start pricing the Morini Franco engines.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just checked ebay thinking the prices would have jumped but at least from BGF they've come down and he offers more extras with the kit now.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
looks like well just have to use what we can get ,like our cuban bretheren .....Viva la Riquimbilli~!!!...good ole Yankee inginuity......Hick n billy...

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
When the government gets involved, the price is going to go up. Anyone who knows Austrian Economics can attest to this. Tariffs are going to result in retaliatory tariffs on the part of China. Even if the engines are technically banned, they will find a way into the U.S.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
look what happened to snow mo's they were supposed to get rid of 2 strokes after 2006 but instead they fuel injected them due to the high cost of a 4 stroke...i would love to see a motor made here that makes emisions, has a centrifical clutch, and has a cvt...it would be cool...it would be fast...it would have a better low end...it would also be expensive...wow im dreaming...maybe ill just wish for a real electronic ignition not just a coil pack that people are calling a cdi...to be able to advance and retard the ignition would be nice

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
On a two stroke????There's no points or distributors or rotors on two cycles.As a matter of fact,some super hot car racing people switch over to magnetos on their super engines magneto systems just like 2 cycles but a little more complicated u can however, decrease your dwell ,but your spark is going to be a little colder.Where are those Stihl motors?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
There's still the timing of the 6v pulse being sent to the CDI if there weren't your plug would just spark all the time.