Turnigy 10.0

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
You can use anything you want to, none of what you linked is in stock.
I just suggested the things I have tried and liked.

I have not tried this.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=70748
$33.15

HK is lacking in the PS department at the moment.

PS hack.
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
As far as cheaper chargers go I had a bad experience with the Imax commonly found on ebay. My Dynam units have been chugging along for years charging multiple packs at the same time. Like LC I keep em cool with a small desk fan. Probably the down side is a 5amp output, which is reduced to 3.5 charging two 5000s. Get a charger with 10amp output minimum.

I ran a similar balance plug voltage alarm on my first quadcopters. Was actually very annoying when mid voltage was reached. Any application of load caused it to alarm as the voltage initially sagged.

LCs got the scoop on equipment. He will steer you right. He must have a zillion bonus points at HK!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
No zillion points...I do spend WAY to much time online!

That's why I was suggesting 10a chargers.
I have a SkyRC B6ac+ it states 5amp output but it will only do 3.8a max.
It is probably 15 years old, works great just a bit slow.
Good for small packs.

That Peak 4x was terrible, overcharged cells randomly, the alarm was allways setting off. The LCD screens are different shades, it is probably some clone/fake.

I guess, reading online, that there are a lot of fake imax chargers.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the 6s 10AH packs yesterday. Swapped out the XT90 connectors for XT60s to be compatible with the bikes wiring. The 90s are mammoth compared to the 60s. Strangely the wire is the same.
Theoretically the batteries supply the same amperage, the 5AH packs are 20c while the 10AH are 10c both are rated@100amps. What they actually do is immaterial as the controller limits either pack to 20amps or 2C, really babying the packs.

This makes a "sorta" 48v system. The charged voltage, 50.4v is a bit lower than a fully charged SLA system the controller was intended for, but the cut voltage is the same@ 42v. So in theory I could ride to LVC, which I rarely do.
Just have to fab an "adapter" tray to mount the bigger cells into the 5AH tray. This will be really cool only having to deal with 2packs. However will be a bit less aggressive than the 67 or 63v 5AH packs. Thats why its a good cruise pack. These large packs are making Lipo Ebiking that much easier.

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Pc power supply trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ityrHaBLepg oh and This guy's not too happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyqSV_kh7A that's the way it goes sometimes
First guy.
Good point with the power supply, power on.

That second guy has some anger issues...keep slamming that 16.0 on the table...burn down your hobby room...house, bet he would be mad then.
Waited 30 days before he though he should try the battery out.
Then the first flight he wants to fly 40 miles? What?

I have purchased 12 of the 4s/5.0.
2 have failed due to one bad cell.
Good thing they are cheap.

So far so good with the 10.0.

Don't buy them...more for me.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Guess I have been lucky. So far I have had no issues with any of the HK packs I have.
I rode the 10Ah set again today over to town and back and wasn't very easy on them. I have yet to charge them. I wanted to pull them down a bit first for a break in cycle. They arrived around 70% with near perfect cell balance. After a short ride yesterday and the trip to town they still remain at 64% or about 2v over LVC. I'm impressed!

I gotta wonder if the guy charged the pack anticipating using it then let it sit fully charged. Who knows? Sure am pleased with my 10s!

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I don't see them at HK. Wonder how much they are going to cost and when they are going to have them. I'm still debating lipo vs 18650 pack.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Concerning the 18650 packs I built two and bought one. The first two were built from used cells and worked well but their life span was not long(8mos) being from used cells. The purchased 15ah battery($400,yikes!) had three cell failures in different groups in less than a year rendering it unusable. I could have repaired it but figured it would have further failures so recycled it.

I know LC has had some issues with a few Lipo packs. I haven't experienced any as of yet. And at the cost of the 5ah packs($25 or less) its not a bank breaker. Depending on the cost of the 20ah I think that's the way I would go if one needs a pack that large(ah). I find the 10s plenty for my needs. If you go Lipo just handle them properly and you will be fine. You will die of old age waiting on a Lipo pack to spontaneously combust. Its poor handling that causes problems.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yeah the 5ah hardpacks seem like the best choice for lipo as far as cost( less then some people charge for SLA's) and durability( and super light) and safety and YOU decide the voltage, ahs you want and can change it or replace a bad pack as needed cheap. on the other hand, you could have a cool looking waterbottle you just plug the charger in and bam-done. They are both awesome.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My take away from 18650 packs is due to the larger # of cells(over 100 in some packs) that the likelihood of cell failure is pretty great. If even one cell fails in a group its an issue due to the BMS in most packs. The 18650 packs I built had no BMS so cell failure just resulted in poor performance until the pack degraded to unusable.

I think Ebiking is held back somewhat due to battery cost. To be viable it would be nice to have a decent size battery come in under $200. Lipos fill the bill here but are best not left in the hands of Joe Public. Though it seems Old Joe is flying a ton of drones and handling Lipos to do it.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Does seem like the prices have come down a bit. That makes an Ebike more affordable for a means of transportation to the general public that don't view this as a hobby.

I just saw this 10s 5ah pack at HK. That would be perfect for a 36v system. On a lightweight close in urban bike 5ah is doable. Would make 10ah for $200. Charging may be an issue. Its only 12" long and would look right at home on the down tube. I really like the 6s 10ah and LCs method of boosting them with another 4s for speed. Very convertible. [/I] http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=20679

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Does seem like the prices have come down a bit. That makes an Ebike more affordable for a means of transportation to the general public that don't view this as a hobby.

I just saw this 10s 5ah pack at HK. That would be perfect for a 36v system. On a lightweight close in urban bike 5ah is doable. Would make 10ah for $200. Charging may be an issue. Its only 12" long and would look right at home on the down tube. I really like the 6s 10ah and LCs method of boosting them with another 4s for speed. Very convertible. [/I] http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=20679
Why would charging be an issue? I'm contemplating this for my hybrid trike which currently has a 36V golden Motor front wheel and originally had lead acid bricks which are probably pretty old by now, not having been used for several years. Could I start out with 5 amps worth and then later add another to make it 10 amps? And I would need a different controller and charger specific to that type of battery, correct? On a very limited budget I'm trying to stretch dollars. Pulling a fairly heavy duty trike I would need for it to be capable of a 12 mile run through the forest on a bike trail without gas assist. The gas motor will be used when off of the bike trail.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Hey SB!

Charging might be an issue due to the fact that most common lipo chargers ceiling at 6-8 cell capacity. I have never looked for one with 10s capability, might be pricy. I bet LC will link us to one.

Strangely a 36v SLA charger should work fine for bulk charging(no balancing). I don't have one to check but I believe it cuts at 42v? If so that's fully charged voltage for the 10s pack. Not ideal with out balancing, but then the early lipos werent balanced either. They will eventually get unbalanced which is not ideal, but not terminal either. If the cut charge voltage is higher then monitoring the charge would be very necessary and I wouldn't advise using the SLA charger unless you like baby sitting the operation and are very familiar with lipos. I always keep tabs on lipo charging regardless.

Those are interesting packs. Small/compact for the voltage and affordable. You can surely start out with a 5ah pack, but I'm pretty sure 10ah is the minimum needed.

A quick check of the net reveals the 10s chargers are pretty $$. $150+.

You could run 2 to 4 of these and charge them on the cheaper chargers. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9174__Turnigy_5000mAh_5S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

Last edited: