Is it wrong?....

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Is it wrong to be impatient to the point of wishing I went with the easy china girl kit?

I know that it would be better to stick with my current project and make a badass 4stroke BEAST.. But when I want to ride, I look at my pile of parts and start sweating.

And the list of things I need to make it how I want it is a good length, and funds only allow one piece at a time!

I guess I just need some good advice to keep my head up in this long process.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57388

.duh.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread about your ATV engine. First page sure looked interesting, though, and I'll catch up when I get the chance.

But it sounds like you're feeling just a bit down because this project is going to take a while and you're feeling the itch to ride. That's about it, right?

Why not invest in a china girl and build it during the winter? It can actually be ready much earlier than spring. And if you get a break in the weather, you might be on the road in no time.

Then you can turn to your 4 cycle build.

Be warned, though!

You might end up spending too much time on two different bikes. I've got no answer for that. I'm stuck in the same situation.

But I also don't care very much. If I weren't doing this, then I'd be doing something much more ordinary.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sometimes, easy just gives you crabs........

....I mean it makes you crabby.

Don't compromise on your vision. You'll only regret it later. Maybe. Or, you'll have to visit the doc.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I know it can be rough, I made sure to get the bits that would make my bike go first, and then everything after has been gradual upgrades ie: discovering the bungee system that used some bent s hooks, gravity and a lot of high hopes to keep my batteries in place on the back rack that came with my bike was not going to cut it, so I ended up picking up a rack that doubled as a second seat and straight bolted them to it.
Now I don't have to worry about loosing my batteries to the odd bump or railroad tracks....
So my point here is, it will come to you. I know I always get bummed out while waiting for the next wave of "upgrades" if you will. Currently have to wait till next month to advance the wiring on the lighting due to rent and bills.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Thanks guys, you make me feel goods and such :)

I am trying to change my outlook on such projects, usually I wind up with a cobbled together piece of crap because I rushed and half-assed it, resulting in loss of interest.
Who would ride a piece of junk? :p

I work with a guy who takes his time finding every part he wants to make his bicycles (human power only) exactly the way he wants it. He has taken up to four years!

I admire that in doing so he gets the results he planned out in the beginning. I am similar as far as budget goes and seeing him snipe out the perfect pieces makes me want to exercise patience (for once)

I have to find smaller things to occupy the waiting periods between part buying. Plus, I have had to start buying tools, so that distracts from parts haha.

Anyway, rant over! Thank you for your words of wisdom :)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Start hitting garage sales....you can find great quality old tools for cheap instead of new questionable tools for $$$. Wait, they probably don't have garage sales in Maine during the winter, but you see where I'm going. Many of my tools began their career in the hands of my granddad.

Good luck in your journey, Grasshopper!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hard to tell how tight the 'engine compartment' might be. That curve front tube may cause issues. If the rear 'shock' moves very much, you might need a spring loaded chain tensioner unless you're planning on a jackshaft setup.

If the engine fits, I'd have no problem using that bike!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
looks like a direct copy of the walmart 'avalon' - got one here & decided not to build it

if I had built it, I was going to make some REALLY long studs for the front mount to get past that huge, thin downtube in front and leave off the mounting block for the rear mount so the motor would tuck into that tiny space nice & low

Commander Billypool

Nov 30, 2014
Citrus Springs Fl.
Simple if you know the parts you must take care to service them before the break and need replace. My problem is ordering the correct parts. Once to often it take 1/3 the price of the part to send it back if it's incorrect. So anyway I've inserted a picture of a 1/8'' access to get a drop or two oil in the gear securing the jack shaft on this kit. It's something I should have done earlier most don't I'd guess but it took ten minuets with an 18 volt drill to make an 1/8'' access which can be capped. The kit's don't provide some of the features you may prefer but overall the 2 stroke kit is likely the least expensive and the lesser expensive shift kit is probably as good as the one I've got at about half the price. Personally if I can lock the 3 speed Nexus I'm working on to make it start easy and downshift I'll save on expensive brakes as well as grant the little smoker an RPM range that will be tough to keep up with and more efficient. The 4 stroke is nice too tough choice.