whats the best 2 stroke and dealer?

GoldenMotor.com

keithinmichigan

Jun 6, 2014
michigan
Hi. I just joined today and did not find a newer post for my questions. I spent quite a few days and hours online for motor kits and still not sure what to go with. I have a 1961 Schwinn panther 3 with a ton of patina. I am planning to add more patina and age the motor as well to give it an aged board track look. that's why I want the 2 stroke. Any suggestions on the brand? and also the dealer? I like what I see on bikeberry (the flying horse 66/80). I also like what I see on ThatsDax.com they seem to be the better choice. If you have any suggestions on brands or dealers I would be really grateful. THANKS.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
K the grube gt5 has a better conecting rod and a loghter piston allong with a long extended large bore 16mm Id intake manifold and a fully tunable cns carb with a high flow filter the gt5 only has a 38mm stroke though making it a 65.9 cc motor but this shorter stroke lends itself nicely to a high rpm motor and all the gt5 i have built have been well balanced for a china girl

the next best thing is the dax f80 it has a full circle crank like the gt5 but its got a 40mm stroke making it a 69.9cc it has more low end power cause of the 2mm longer stroke and a lot of people like this motor for what it is! just be aware that if you plan to mod the con rod is thinner and not as well made as the grubee gt5 ZAF #60 rod and the piston is a few grams heavyer than grubee type b so the vibes at high rpms are a bit more than the grubee gt5 but you will never get to those rpms without some modding so most do not even notice it
one thing i do not like about the dax motors are the intake manifolds . . . They are the shorty crappy aluminum ones that have only a smal 13mm bore . . . The bore of the intake is actually smaller than the crappy nt or spped carbs venturi they come with so you will want to upgrade to the long z one or a custom one to gain back some rpms and low end and better flow

the heads i have gotten on the dax motors have a thick gasket surface witch lends itself well to modifacations like decking or reshaping but some had loose plug threads , the grubee gt5 heads had smaller gasket sufaces for decking and modding but they all had better squish bands that were wider and tighter than the dax were but they could not be decked as mutch cause of the thicknes of the mating surface also the combustion chamber was smoother all around on the grubee but the dax can easily be smoothed out in a few min

so in short if your going to buy a motor kit and just runit get the dax and buy a new intake manifold
but if you plan to do a lot of modding or want to make it a working progress then definatly go with the gt5

It has a better con rod and can handle high rpms better and i feel is all around the beat motpr to mod because of the shorter stroke and lighter top end asembly, plus arrow uses the gt5 bottom ends and makes a whole lot of upgrade parts for it like custom ported jugs and reed valve setups i fel like the gt5 from my own personal exp responds better to modding than the 40mm stroke motors do

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
A dax with a lightly decked head and an upgraded intake with some simple port cleanup and port matching and a sbp exhaust should be all the power the average rider could want and running a good oil like lucas or amsoil or motul at 32:1 to 50:1 mix the motor should last a few years of hard riding

if your going to dive right into modding go with the grubee gt5 and have at it

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This question is kinda like your new best friend asking 'what's the best kind of beer'......

I really don't know if there is a correct answer. Really. You may get relatively lucky and get a super bargain basement honey. You could also get a sorry stupidly expensive she-devil.

Just blow on your dice and see what you roll!

Best of luck in your decision!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I run the Dax Gen IV engines on my two fastest and smoothest running bikes, they have the best looking rods in them of all my other china girls, wide bearing surface on top and three holes drilled for good lubrication, both of mine that I have built up now are very smooth running engines and the higher I twist them up the smoother they get, which is just opposite of what my results have been with all the other china girls I own or have had.

Honestly I cant speak at all about how the Grube GT5 compares to my Gen IV dax engines because I have never owner a Grube engine of any type, as with anything you will get some differing opinions on things like this, but I will tell you that today I took my fastest bike for a ride and got a GPS'd top speed of 49.8 MPH out of that bike running a dax Gen IV engine that I did several mods too, it isn't box stock at all but it is a screamer and butter smooth at high RPM's.

I have heard good things about the Grube GT5 engines also when they have the right mods and you are lucky enough to get an overall good one just like any of the other china girl engines, personally I think the engines that dax and Neil aka: motrobicycleracing sells are the best I have seen and used, they have better quality crank bearings than most and the balance and trueness of the cranks are real nice with the ones I have, so I can only testify to my personal experience and I liek the dax Gen IV or Neils Gen V engines very much.
Map
dnut

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hi Keith, Although I have no personal experience with Dax engines my friend Risingsunn runs a almost stock Dax engine and I run a built up Motovello engine, and although I have better acceleration I can't quite catch him in the long run... it kind of cheeses me off. lol

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I have to agree on the Dax Gen IV engines when it comes to build quality as they can take upgrades really well and they run smooth all the way up the rpm range. I'm currently running the Dax Gen IV bottom end in mine with a ported cylinder and a Fred head, the piston was cut and ramped to enhance the port timing and flow and I bored out the stock intake manifold to match my CNS carb, then the exhaust is taken care of thru a modified KTM pipe. This is the strongest engine I've built so far and by far the smoothest runner but as I look for more power out of these engines I can trust the Dax bottom end to be up to the task.
I don't know much about the Grubee GT5 engines but I've heard only good things about them and they do take upgrades really well. I've heard some of the parts are a little better right out of the box like the connecting rod, and the piston is lighter, as well as it comes with wider intake ports so it would be an excellent base engine to do some mods to.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I have to agree on the Dax Gen IV engines when it comes to build quality as they can take upgrades really well and they run smooth all the way up the rpm range. I'm currently running the Dax Gen IV bottom end in mine with a ported cylinder and a Fred head, the piston was cut and ramped to enhance the port timing and flow and I bored out the stock intake manifold to match my CNS carb, then the exhaust is taken care of thru a modified KTM pipe. This is the strongest engine I've built so far and by far the smoothest runner but as I look for more power out of these engines I can trust the Dax bottom end to be up to the task.
I don't know much about the Grubee GT5 engines but I've heard only good things about them and they do take upgrades really well. I've heard some of the parts are a little better right out of the box like the connecting rod, and the piston is lighter, as well as it comes with wider intake ports so it would be an excellent base engine to do some mods to.
This is the trade off lol.

I run bolth motors depending on what i am building and i can say for myself the grubee gt5s i have built all had real nice thick heavy dutie con rods all with the same oil hole pattern as the dax motors just heavy dutie and the piston is lighter and the whole rod and top end assembly is lighter too the crank in all the grubee gt motors i have built is exactly the same as the dax crank a one piece full circle well balanced for what it is its just got the big end drilled to 38mm stroke instead of daxes 40mm stroke this shorter stroke lets the motor rev higher wile you feel less of the vibes as the over all stroke is shorter

they come with qhat i consider a better carb the cns v3 with a high flpw filter
and the intake manifold is 16mm id and 6in long so flow is a non issue

i run a dax motor in my current every day bike and it has quite a few mods high comp piston mods exe. . . But the last grubee gt i built with nearly the same mods could have smoked it on the top end! !! The dax definatly has more grunt but bolt are good motors

When i buy a dax i toss the carb in a box and the cheap aluminum inatke roght in there with it and put a long steel z intake and cns v3 just like the stock grubee has and the dax runs noticably betyer and pulls harder than even the grubee does once that cns carb is tunned