8 inch brake discs!

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Now I mounted 8-inch brake discs! on my "50" mph bike. Now it's the tires that puts a stop to the braking ability! Someone else who has dual 8 incher?
Kool bike!!!

Joker Machine has dual disc brakes where they count, right up front! :D

Not sure if they 8"ers? I will measure them tomorrow at the June 1st race
and let you know!

Last edited:

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik
Kool bike!!!

Joker Machine has dual disc brakes where they count, right up front! :D

Not sure if they 8"ers? I will measure them tomorrow at the June 1st race
and let you know!

Thanks! There is so many really cool race bikes, too bad I can not race against them :( Here in Sweden there is not any one who race with motorbicycles

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Now I mounted 8-inch brake discs! on my "50" mph bike. Now it's the tires that puts a stop to the braking ability! Someone else who has dual 8 incher?
There are many of us here using 8" (aka 203mm) disc brakes, either front only or front/rear. They are reasonable and widely available.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a 8" disc, I love it.
Ditto: 203s are the way to go but even the smaller discs are better than any other brakes.
There's a myth floating around that disc aren't good when wet. And it is a myth. Just like your car; disc brakes work just fine in wet weather. You can't say that about drum or rim brakes.
Bike drum brakes are not as concerned with wet conditions unless submerged but anyone who has ever ridden a rim brake equipped bike in the rain will agree that they can fail quickly.

Tom

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Ditto: 203s are the way to go but even the smaller discs are better than any other brakes.
There's a myth floating around that disc aren't good when wet. And it is a myth. Just like your car; disc brakes work just fine in wet weather. You can't say that about drum or rim brakes.
Bike drum brakes are not as concerned with wet conditions unless submerged but anyone who has ever ridden a rim brake equipped bike in the rain will agree that they can fail quickly.

Tom
Tom, I beg to defer on the myth part :). It all depends on the brake pads and brand of caliper. I've used Hayes, Shimano, & Tektro disc setups and they totally sucked when wet. Performed no better the a rim brake. Avid brakes perform just like advertised, All weather. I use a Avid setup now and they work great in any weather. I recently put some alligator pads in the avids and they works even better now. My worksman front drum works very well in the wet weather also.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, I beg to defer on the myth part :). It all depends on the brake pads and brand of caliper. I've used Hayes, Shimano, & Tektro disc setups and they totally sucked when wet. Performed no better the a rim brake. Avid brakes perform just like advertised, All weather. I use a Avid setup now and they work great in any weather. I recently put some alligator pads in the avids and they works even better now. My worksman front drum works very well in the wet weather also.
Frank,
I have two bikes with Techtro Novela discs, 203 rotors on the front. I've been caught out in hard rains twice and never noticed any degradation in the brakes.

I also have Avids on the front of the Norton bike. It too has seen some wet stuff and never faded, even a little.
Just my experience, but then I don't ride as fast as you :)

Tom