Tire Mystery

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Give me your theories about these weird marks on my rear tires. I have 2 Nirve Switchblades with the rear tires being a Nirve brand called the 'Fatass' which is a 3" X 24" tire. They ride well and seem to be wearing okay but no matter how well or often I clean them they quickly develope these strange criss-cross dirt patterns on the sidewalls. It wipes off easily with a wet rag but reappears after the next ride. They are on both sides of the rear tire.

It reminds me of 'wrinkle wall' drag slicks after a car has been towed through a dusty pit or return lane.
Inflation is right on, 38 to 40 psi as per the Nirve owner's manual and the inflation information on the sidewall.

What's with this? Any ideas, guys? I'm tired of people asking me about it.
"Hey man, cool bike. What's those marks on your back wheel?"

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I can see it!!
If it was a slick it wouldn't happen!

Look close tom,,
Each dirt mark starts at where the tread ends,,and each stripe is going the same angle as the air and road dust gets forced through the curved tread,(treads are facing front and back) across the sidewall,, that's way too freaken cool man!!!

Had me scratchin my head for a while there...

Good times :)

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Hahaha,,
It can only be a theory my friend cause the longer I looked at the picture,,the more i thought I was wrong...lol..that is so cool though,,thanks for sharing!

Good times :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, And I swear that I didn't PhotoShop that. Those marks are real and I have no idea what they are or how to prevent it. But they're pi$$ing me off.

Tom

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I see how the sidewall is sticking out farther than the top of the tire,,and if there was a way to fill in the little tread grooves just above the sidewall all the way around the tire,,i bet it wouldn't happen anymore...but then the water wouldn't run out either,, that's actually a good idea,,Im thinking while typing,,take her through some water and see which way the water sprays out from the tread,,if my theory is correct the water should spray out in a X pattern,,may have to try different speeds to see the release pattern.

Just a thought...

Tom :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My guess is that the cords inside the tire carcass are causing static as they move while you ride which attracts dust.
I bet a spray of fabric softener will stop this.
Try it and let me know.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My guess is that the cords inside the tire carcass are causing static as they move while you ride which attracts dust.
I bet a spray of fabric softener will stop this.
Try it and let me know.
That might be a valid point. It does seem to be associated with a pattern that would be consistent with the carcass. Nylon threads impregnated into the rubber would be a pattern similar to the dirt streaks.

I haven't used a tire cleaner or blackening compound on them like you see on show car tires but maybe I'll try a cleaner and/or anti-static fabric softener. 'I'll keep you guys informed.

Jersey, I haven't ridden on a wet street. We only get snow in Colorado, no rain. And I don't ride in snow :)

Toad, it does have a DNA helix look, doesn't it? :)
Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just rub a dryer sheet on the sidewalls ---- just don't get any on your tread.

This is how I handle the static in my car seats during the winter. Works like a charm and smells 'spring fresh'.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have used spray paint in the past to clean up the sides of my bike tires (& remove stubborn lettering)... Just find a flat black that looks natural to the tire. ;)

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Tom, Kenda actually makes those tires for Nirve and what you are seeing is the "alternate thread" reinforcement pattern of the "Arimid" fiber (Kevlar). Arimid fibers actually hold and develope a static charge all on their own with friction as slight as just air rushing over it. What was suggested of using the dryer sheets is a very good idea as long as the ingredients in it are not destructive to polimers (ie:Rubber). Anything with Tolulene, MEK, or Acetone would be a no-no. Also Amor-all is good too.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a good, non-destructive way to clean tires is with carb cleaner. spray it on a rag and wipe it on the tire. it soaks in and softens them up. also works great on oily chain rub.

black plasti-coat spray paint works the best for painting over ugly tire logos.

your problem looks like the tire construction pattern, so the static theory might be correct.

dunno what to do about that, besides mounting some brushes to your chainguards... :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well, its snowing again in Denver. They're predicting record low temperatures for today and tonight and there is four inches of new snow out there now. Looks like it'll be a while before I try any of your suggestions but I do thank you for them.

I have a couple of products made for tires to make them black and shiny for shows. I might try them to see it it stops the weird marks. But, unless this winter ever ends who cares? No one will see me or the bike outside anyway. I hate winter! Sorry. I just came in from blowing and shoveling snow. I'm cold and miserable. :(

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I remember when I was a kid, I heard of using sugar water on tires for shows.
Way back when, brake fluid was the most common treatment to give show car tires that show car look. It still works good but it attracts dirt and after a few miles your tires look worse than they would have with nothing on them. Good for shows but not everyday use. Never tried sugar water.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
before my 96 impala SS got stolen a few years back, i'd take it in and get it detailed every month or so (did it myself a few times and realized $75 was cheaper than spending an entire day waxing a 17 1/2 foot long car.)

after the first time they spread that fake armorall on my tires, i'd tell 'em to skip it.

that crap would get flung all down the side of the car and mess up the wax job. if i didn't spend 2 hours cleaning it off, dust and dirt would stick to it, making it worse.

always hated armorall. 'specially when they did the leather seats, steering wheel, and the rubber pads on the pedals.

nothing like turning out of the driveway and the car goes straight, while you slide into the passenger seat...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was at a car show a couple of years ago. The show was over, everyone leaving the convention center and I was in my car waiting my turn to drive out and admiring a beautiful Deuce 5 window in the lane next to me when it got rear ended by another street rod. The guy had ArmorAl on his brake pedal, the automatic choke had the engine at a high idle and the guy's foot slipped off the brake. $20,000 damage to the 32 coupe.

Hard core car people will never use that stuff on leather or vinyl because they say it has a kerosene base and will dry out the oils making leather and vinyl crack. There're better products out there.

Tom

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I put armor al on the seat of my dirt bike once(1986 Suzuki RM 125) when I was a little kid,,it looked sweet but I never did it again after a day of riding hard I was so tired from trying to keep myself on the seat and my feet where killing me from all the Bob Hannah leg drags i needed to do :)