is bike broke in and what next step

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
hope this is right place for this ,
the bike i got from Craigslist 49cc china girl one has about 300 miles on speedometer he gave me a gas can as well it says on the can he wrote , 16/1 6oz oil to gallon of gas , i friend of mine says that too much oil and recommended opti2 (100-1)if i can find it here , or other oils at 24/1or 32/1 , is this bike broke in at 300 miles??? and if so whats be my next move with the oil the opti2 , or another brand at 32/1 or 24/1 .

There's about 1/5 of gas left in the tank (i was going to drain it and start afresh with new gas/oil )cannot get to ride it yet as too cold hope end of week i can ,
ty

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The bike should definitely be broken in at 300 miles. The guy wrote 16:1 and 6 oz to 1 gallon, just fyi, 16:1 is 8 oz to a gal. Just letting you know that guy had his ratio wrong. The guys that use opti 2 love it, and it is a universal mix 100:1 ratio. Lucas semi-synthetic oil is fine at 32:1. Others will chime in with their opinions as well.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
You will find the type of oil a person uses is like the Ford vs Chevy thing. They are all good if used correctly. I have opti2 in mine now and other than the smell it's great. I have been running Klotz that smells good. Pick an oil for air cooled engines. They are different.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
OK ty all ,

but whats different with 32/1 and 100/1 and why is there not a stranded setting for bikes ?i have seen 25/1 40/1 why all the different mixes ??, so i will be able just to change over straight away next gallon to 100/1 opti2 or 32/1 lucas or any other oil and measures ?.

night cruiser whats conventional 2-stroke oil

do i need to drain the old gas out or just add new gas to it .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oil manufacturers make their own recommendations regarding how much oil to mix with gasoline for proper lubrication in a 2 stroke engine. Some synthetics and semi-synthetics require less oil than a pure petrolium product.

The Opti-2 that was mentioned, which I'm a firm believer in, is a semi-syn oil. It is to be mixed to a 100;1 ratio. Don't try that with an oil that is supposed to be mixed at 50:1.
Also remember that the less oil you use, the richer the fuel/air ratio. When you go up in ratio numbers, exampe, 100:1, you'll need to decrease the fuel to air ratio. I know that sounds weird but the reason is that when you reduce the amount of oil in your mix you effectively increase the amount of gasoline. Hence you get a richer fuel to air ratio.
Using Opti-2 at 100:1 I decrease my carburetor jet size until I get the running conditions/spark plug color that gives me the best performance.

One thing we always recommend is to stay away from oil that is formulated exclusively for outboard boat engines. Outboards are water cooled and therefore don't require the oil to be able to withstand the heat generated by an air cooled engine. Stick with a good quality 2 cycle oil made for air cooled applications and you'll be good.

Like was said above; oil recommendations are as varied as the users. Everyone has their favorites and you'll eventually find what works for you. In truth, any 2 stroke oil will suffice in a Chinese 2 stroke engine. Some swear by the cheapest Wallmart oil and some will say that you have to spend a fortune for it. Suit yourself.

As for draining your tank; just burn what's left and start fresh with a new batch. Always mix your fuel/oil in a seperate container and shake well before filling the bike's tank. Never mix in the tank. You'll end up with a carburetor full of oil and your engine won't run.

Hope that helps a little.

Tom

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
thank you 2 door for explaining how it works , so what would you recommend for me as i am new to all this and not had chance to pre break in a engine , big button said 32/1 mix to start with then try a few different mix setting.

i would like to try the opti 2 but you said ## I decrease my carburetor jet size## how do you do that ??
thanks again