50 state ride video

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I keep thinking it would be neat to make a video that is a patchwork put together of my fellow motor bicyclist riding there bikes from all 50 states. Here is what I am thinking. I have the ability to download any video from Youtube and convert it into a format useable for my video editor. So..all one would need to do is post a video of them self riding there bike on youtube. Then they could come on here and post the link and tell me what state that video was shot in. ONce all the videos are compiled on my hard drive I could then take the best one minute from each video and patchwork them all together into one single video showing a 50 state ride.

Of course I would prefer that all videos are of the best possible quality or at least watchable without alot of vibration or severe shaky camera movement. I use a $10 #808 key chain spy camera mounted on my hat and it does a fairly descent job....so it really doesn't take high dollar equipment to get a descent video. My goal would be a compilation of all 50 states by this summer. In many areas this time of year the weather is not real good for taking the best videos and the scenery is not at its best. In some places riding is not even really doable this time of year. So if I make the deadline for video submissions for no later then June 30th...that should give folks plenty of time to scrape up something to take some video with and time for perfect scenery to develop in your area maybe this spring.

If we have more then one video submitted for a state then I can then list those videos in a poll and MB members can then vote to determine which best video taken in that state goes into the 50 state video. I think folks would strive harder to make the best videos possible if they know that they may have some competition in getting there video selected for the 50 state video., and not to mention that no video would actually be wasted time because all your motorbycyling brothers and sisters are still going to be checking out any videos you submit to youtube and enjoying.

So if anyone already has a video created that is already on youtube that they would like to submit...please post the link here and tell me what state it was taped in. I will not create the 50 state video until after June 30...so if you post a video and later decide to submit another...just let me know and I will be happy to take your old submit off my hard drive and ad the new one on there.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions to ad...please feel free to do so. Should be fun seeing how close we can actually get to getting all 50 states by June 30th. I will start it out.

Illinois Ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btt4y-9J6_4&feature=youtu.be

NOW WE ONLY NEED 49 MORE!LOL

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great idea, Roo.

I have several vids posted. Feel free to look at them and choose. My riding time is going to be a lot less now that winter has set in here but when spring rolls around I'll be doing some more videos. I have some ideas I want to work on.

Good luck with this project. I hope it gets good response from the members.

Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've got over 100 vids shot in California.......you might be able find 60 seconds worth of decent footage out of the lot. Then again, maybe not lol. Have at it.

dnut

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Scotto

Out of those 100 is there any single one of those that you like best? I would hate to pick out one for you when you may think there is one better. Just post a link here and I will check it out and download the video from Youtube. Thanks

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto

Out of those 100 is there any single one of those that you like best? I would hate to pick out one for you when you may think there is one better. Just post a link here and I will check it out and download the video from Youtube. Thanks
Sure, no prob. But I'm not to fussy as they're all similar in content and quality for the most part lol.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Littletinman

That would be fantastic. I don't expect that many people will be out taking videos this time of year unless they are in states with warmer climates. I will look for you to put up some Maryland ride footage sometime before June 30.

46 more states to go!

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
After trying a couple of different cameras I ordered a helmet camera today, its a 720 HD. Ill give it a try in a week or so and post some Georgia cruising.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
Check the setting on your camera especially the white balance for light source. The blue tint you see tells me the camera might have been set for indoor, incandescant or fluorescant light instead of sunlight. Look at the camera's menu for that setting.
Otherwise good video. The helmet cam is a good choice over one attached to the bike.
Good find on that socket too :)

Tom

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ok I'm game...what kind of footage are you looking for? Scenic? Urban riding? Woods are tough and limited access this time of year here in connecticut...mark ct off...down to 45? Ha look at me being presumptuous and isht

.rd.

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Ok I'm game...what kind of footage are you looking for? Scenic? Urban riding?

.rd.
Just something that is pleasing to the eye and perhaps something that distinguishes your state from another. That could be as simple as scenery or a landmark or even distinguishing cityscape. Of course...if there is a particular part of your video that you think is the best, I would be happy to use some footage of your choice so long as I can am allowed to edit it for length. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Greg

That camera you used looks like it would take pretty stable video and it actually looks like pretty clear video as well. If you could just get the lighting thing figured out on it it might do a fine job for you. Looks like it was turning your greenery blue. I hope you have some sort of setting that can straighten that out because it really looks like you ride in one of those beautiful spots on the planet.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I did get the camera adjusted thanks to advice from 2door, the weather is looking real warm for the weekend so maybe I can get some good footage. We have been talking about doing multi-camera rides, then compiling a video from all.