Hello from Maydelle, Tx. - Texas laws

GoldenMotor.com

Uncle Stick

Apr 4, 2012
Maydelle, Tx
I'm brand new here. I recently saw someone here in Maydelle riding a motorized bicycle. I had no idea what he had on it (didn't get to talk to him), but I instantly had to have one. I've done about a month of researching the subject and here I am.

I called the Cherokee County Sheriff's office, the Jacksonville (or maybe Rusk...can't remember which) and the DPS office in Tyler.

They all said that motorized bicycles under 50cc are street legal and require no registration or licensing but didn't go into any details about speed limits or other restrictions (I didn't ask about that, only asked if they were street legal).

I also called the county office that handles motor vehicle licensing...they told me the that no registration was necessary for motorized bicycles under 50cc.

That was all I needed to hear. I have a couple or so possible candidates for motorizing, but am still reading and learning at this point. I have a couple of usable 25cc trimmer engines I might be able to use.

Thanks to all who make this forum possible.

Uncle Stick

Apr 4, 2012
Maydelle, Tx
Thanks for the links! I've read some of the posts already. I'll be mostly on county roads, some paved, some not. It's fairly common on lots of "back" roads to see folks on four wheelers making short trips to the local country store or to check their hog traps, deer feeders etc. Things are fairly laid back in most small East Texas communities. I think I'll have fun.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Welcome! I know the feeling about having to build one of these! I stumbled on this site while looking up info on shoehorning an electric scooter motor into my son's Power Wheels, and a few months later I have just finished my second build, lol.

That being said, I think I followed a similar path that you are on. My first build was a 30cc Ryobi 2 stroke (from a pole saw, but the same as the 30cc on the string trimmer) as a friction drive. Even with access to only hand tools, it was a pretty easy build, and fun! Cruised pretty easily around 20 MPH, topped out at 24 but was very, VERY buzzy. BUT, since the motor was free and I already had the bike, it was a cheap way to get my feet wet. The build thread is here: Mongoose XR-75 friction drive

Then I sold it to a guy nearby on Craigslist to fund my 66cc China Girl build. My motor had no outer markings or labels so it looks identical to the 48cc motors, but if you want to stay legal you might stick with the smaller one. From what I hear, the power is not all that different. Since the China Girl comes as a kit, unless you want to do something custom and out of the ordinary, the installation is pretty straightforward with not much custom work needed. Here is the build thread for that one: Yep, another Cranny

Good luck, and as Venice told me, welcome to the addiction!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Welcome to the forum. You are way out in the country! http://g.co/maps/e8zde
You should be able to find some really nice road bicycle and motorcycle scenic routes or event routes to follow. There are some road bicycle races that go through Palestine and Tyler every year, some 60 and 100 miles with plenty of winding blacktop roads and hills up and down.

I recommend a Dax Friction Drive. You can use some commercial trimmer engines, if they have the right clutch system and 4 bolt pattern, but likely you will want a 49cc pocketbike engine. Going with Dax Friction Drive will save you a lot of trouble, and isn't too hard to move to another bike or swap engines if you so desire. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dax-Friction-Drive-fan-club/218445778250153

There is a bicycle event near there, which customarily races the coal train. Perhaps you can organize a social ride for motor assisted bicyclists, which takes the train one way and rides back. That would be really nice.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Welcome from Tyler!

I'm glad to hear that the East Texas DPS and county agencies don't regard bicycles as mopeds. (I have been meaning to look into what they say about them here, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.)

I'm sure that you're going to enjoy this addiction!

dance1