Polishing the Bicycle Engine

GoldenMotor.com

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
The finish on the Happy 2 stroke engines can be greatly enhanced with a little polishing. Here is what you will need:

-Sandpaper, one sheet of each of the following (wet or dry sandpaper works best)
60 grit
220 grit
500 grit
1000 grit
1200 grit

-one can of clear coat (Rust-Oleum gloss clear works well)

Here's how to polish the engine parts:

Begin with the easiest parts....
Remove the right side clutch cover, magneto cover, and small sprocket cover

Beginning with the coarsest sandpaper (60 grit), gently sand the surface and sides of each part in one direction until all of the oxidized aluminum is removed and surface is smooth.

Repeat with the 220 grit sandpaper, sanding perpendicular to the direction you previously sanded. This will help to remove the scratches made by the course sandpaper.

Do the same with the 500 grit sandpaper, again changing direction of your sanding to progressively remove the scratches.

Now gently sand the surfaces with the 1000 grit sandpaper until the parts begin to really shine. You may choose to sand under running water to remove the aluminum dust and to polish out any rough spots.

Finally, go over the parts with the 1200 grit sandpaper until all of the scratches are satisfactorily removed. I like to leave some scratches to give the parts a brushed aluminum look.

Wash and dry the parts thoroughly. They should be silky smooth and shiny.

To preserve the shine and prevent oxidation, apply two coats of gloss clear coat to the front and sides of each part.

TaDa! These parts should look terrific. :eek:

Now, you can either paint the remainder of the engine black or silver. If you are really good at this, you can try sanding the entire engine.

Here's the best part. If your engine dies, you can remove these polished parts and put them on your next engine:ride2:

I'll post some before and after pics soon.

BY the way, use a face mask if you have one...inhaling aluminum dust isn't very good for you.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Polishing the Engine

awesome, can't wait to see the pictures. i was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure how it would turn out. nice post!

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Check out the polished components on the Derringer Cycles bikes... derringercycles.com

I wanted to replicate the shine on their engines, and it turns out to be very easy to do. The engine polishing at least;)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

thats what i am thinking. its winter and lots of snow here so i can't ride. gonna try one of the covers this week

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

I personally haven't tried it yet myself. I do have a polished engine that was done by Kevin (Mypetelvis) it is beautiful. I havent found a project worthy of it yet so it is on display in my livingroom. Those Derringers are some great looking bikes, thanks for the link...Kelly

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Nice engine. I plan on painting and filing the fins like yours. I'd hate to get that engine dirty:)

The Derringer bikes are pretty sweet looking. The $3500 price tag seems a bit excessive. Do you have any idea what motorcycle the gas tanks are from? Cafe racer maybe?

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Yeah, I noticed that too. They do sell a 4 stroke grubee engine model. They call it the BAMF 2, but it is just a regular 4 stroke frame mount kit motor. Since the 4 stoke engine isn't as attractive, most of the pictures feature the 2 stroke kit.

If I can find a similiar tank, the rest of the bike will be easy to copy...for much less.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Woo Hoo...

Thats it, and if it isn't, well it's close enough. NO, it IS the same tank. Thanks Kelly! A Tomos tank shouldn't be too hard to find. Awesome.....

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Looks like I will be needing one from Mike and a Tomos tank as well. Ahhhh, so many bike design possibilities, so little time (and funds).

It would be great to get paid for designing these bikes....dream job:D

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i have to once and i hated pedaling because of stupidity. when the weather is warm i ride alot and a half gallon is just not enough gas. i am definatley getting one from him and will probably take the time to paint it(^)