New guy with first build

GoldenMotor.com

cptbhern

Oct 14, 2011
Independence Missouri
I joined about 2 weeks ago and just finished my first mb build the other day. It was fun and not as difficult as I thought it would be.
Had to make a custom front motor mount and replaced the original plug wire but other than that it was a piece of cake.
Brand new Schwinn Legacy and brand new engine kit from BGF.

I have about 15 minutes actual run time so far,and it does pretty good except on steep hills it doesn't have the power and dies. I assume because it is a new engine and needs to be broken in,but is there anything I can do to help it on hills?

My son has a Daemons kit on a Schwinn mountain bike and it takes the hills perfectly.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Expansion chamber woke up the torque in my little motor- after I followed the suggestions found here, on port matching the piston. Caution, I often leap first.....
-Richard

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
nice lookin ride there...

"I assume because it is a new engine and needs to be broken in,but is there anything I can do to help it on hills?" ...pedal :) LOL... seriosly thou, it just needs broke in. around 80-90 miles on my first build i could tell a big difference in power. for now you could maybe drill some extra holes in the air cleaner housing (i've seen some guys here do that to those style cleaners)expansion chambe'rs a good call too.

i like fenders but keep an eye on their brackets... especialy the front one

good job man

cptbhern

Oct 14, 2011
Independence Missouri
Thanks for the compliments guys.
I will try adding airholes and maybe getting a 34 tooth sprocket and then just ride it to breakin.

I had fun with the build and may try another on an older bike.
This is a great hobby and this site has been very helpful.

Thanks again!

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Thanks for the compliments guys.
I will try adding airholes and maybe getting a 34 tooth sprocket and then just ride it to breakin.

I had fun with the build and may try another on an older bike.
This is a great hobby and this site has been very helpful.

Thanks again!
I agree with Mike B, if your wanting the ability to climb hills more easily you need to go with a bigger sprocket not smaller. Bigger sprockets will give you more torque needed to climb. On flat land that smaller sprocket will give you more toppped out speed. At the very least I would say from experience just ride it how it is now to get the feel of things and make the bike reliable. Then after youve put about 500 miles or so on it start tinkering with mods. My 2 cent anyway take it for what its worth. Nice build!

indian_adam41

Aug 31, 2011
des moines
Hi everybody, my names adam and I am making two motorized bicycles one is a 1914 indian board track racer and the other is a harley 1916 11k racer I know what I'm doing for the most part but with a 50 inch wheel base I'm not sure if the bicycle front end can stand the weight of being that far apart, any ideas? I'm using an 80cc engine from five flags motor company

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I like your Schwinn a lot. I have built several of them with the BGF kit. I actually prefer the 44 tooth sprocket for hilly areas. It will give you the torque to carry you anywhere you want go. Also their kits are very good so just give it some time to break in like everyone has said. It will do just fine. I weigh about 210 and they carry me anywhere I want to go. Enjoy your new bike !!

cptbhern

Oct 14, 2011
Independence Missouri
GasX, I had a co-worker who works in the sheet metal department where I work,bend a piece of metal in a stair step design and then punch holes for the bolts to the engine and holes to use the included u-bolt. Seems to work just fine. I did not want to drill thru the frame.

Thanks again to all on the compliments and suggestions that I leave the original sproket and just ride thru the break in.

I can see where this hobby can be addicting. :)

cptbhern

Oct 14, 2011
Independence Missouri
I rode my bike for awhile last weekend and on flat level road it got up to 21mph,but still would not make it up the hill. I then drilled 5 holes in the air filter cover and rode it the next day and got up to 25 mph.

Today,I moved the e-clip on the throttle needle down one notch and rode it 6 miles round trip and got to 29.6 mph. I found that if I start pedaling the bike as it slows down going uphill,that it climbs ok but still dies without pedaling.

All in all, I am so happy with the bike and I firmly believe it will get better as I get it broken in. I only have just over 14 miles total on the bike and engine.

It was a fun ride today.brnot