How Did You Get Started With Motorized Bicycles?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
i know i dont get 150 mpg like they say it would but it dose ok but again i dont live on flat grown eather i like in the smokie mountion going up hill its drop to 9 mph and what flat land she will get up to 29 mph i got a old mountion bike that she was build in 88 i change the frount out with shocks but has any one know of any one or tryed to make or buy a wind shild not looking for any thing fance just want to keep the air off
I bought this cheap windshield on ebay 2 years ago and left it on my shelf. Last month, I finally figured out how to mount it on my bike quickly and cheaply. I hacksawed two brake levers and used the clamping part to bolt my windshield to the handlebars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-..._Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ad8ca553e#shId

It works well enough for me, but then it's not cold and windy here.xct2

Last edited:

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
Well mine was kind of like a iwant to put a motor on a bicycle I had made some money by selling other stuff and I was looking to get one of those mini pocket bikes that can go about 30 was like 220 for it mailed Iw as going to get it then I thought that thig is going to be way to small for me im a 6 foot guy 220 pounds So I did google search on motorized bicycle, I found this place bought a motor off ebay. Same motor still riding strong

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I was looking at go karts for my son and saw the China Doll kits. I looked into it some more, and found out the kits really do work as advertised. I ordered from Dax and Duane helped me through my first build. I think a MB is more fun than a motorcycle.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I had been building an fiddling with bicycles as a hobby most of my life off an on even toyed with the idea of motorizing one , then I found you guys AN IT WAS ON !

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I find most of old school/50s styled stuff interesting, and saw some adds for old bicycles for sale in Ebay, and local Craiglist where a local friend (foreign shipping helper) lives.. when he checked out for me, the start prices get fast up on sale. Then i checked locally for the fun of it, and a 1954 cycle came up. Very cheap! And... remembering suddenly its a original "cyclewheel" laying with a friend of me, and the of course the idea was born. 40-50s styled, etc. and that this countrys laws about registration is quite ok about vintage motorizing. Found all (nearly) parts in need, and it was possible to find vintage cycle motors quite okay pricetags around, so why not, some fun in the chilly wintertime!"

In seraching around for tips about the build, how they was in the past, etc. i also ended up here!

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
me and one of my friends who always rode bikes and loved wrenching on motors, we got this idea to put a motor on a bike. we knew people have done it so we thought we could easily do it too. we first found this locked up weed wacker and were gonna tear it down and mount it for a friction drive. we decided to go in online and research how it could be done, and we found a website for already made motors and we were sold. few months or so later, we were ripping down the road with a motorized bikes having a blast.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I saw several ads for the HT kit back in 2009 and studied the silly things. Then I noticed the Huffy Cranbrick at WalMart- back then they were green/cream with 14 gauge spokes and lousey welds. I dinkered around with the idea untill 2010 when I convinced my wife it was a good idea for my morning 6 miles commute (the true origional insperation was $4.00+ a gallon). I built it that year for $300 including the helmet and paint... the first time it fired up, I rode it up and down the street bellowing, "IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!" like Victor Frankenstein... no big deal, the neighbors already know I'm nuts... I came home pretty much on the edge of 'gibbering idiot' I was sooo pleased with the ride! After that, I met up with this board as well as the other one and have been hooked ever since.
the Old Sgt.usflg

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
after the tuscaloosa tornado and seeing how crazy clogged all the street could be and gas issues i finally decided to make a motor bicycle. i already had seen them on the net so it was also in the back of my mind.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
after the tuscaloosa tornado and seeing how crazy clogged all the street could be and gas issues i finally decided to make a motor bicycle. i already had seen them on the net so it was also in the back of my mind.
Ummm it would suck if your mb got blown away tho .......

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Once upon a time, a very long time ago, I saw a friction drive motor in a store. This one one of those Holiday Super stores like the size of Walmarts if that helps anyone place the era. I believe the motor was a MX-5 but I'm not sure. I loved the idea and wanted very much to buy one, but I was a young pup with only a "starter" job and the price was simply out of reach for me. I filed the idea away for future reference.

...much time passed...

...really, decades of time...

At a much later date I found myself in need of a hobby and posessing extra bicycles. I also had more disposable income. From some dusty recessed corner of my mind that old bicycle engine I saw pushed it's way to the surface and I thought "Hey, I'll convert one of these bikes to a motor bicycle."

Being much older and wiser I'd learned to do a little research first and discovered the China Girl kits so I ordered one. About that time I also discovered this forum and found it to be a tremendous help.

That was several years and about 5 bike builds ago.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

I had a Goldwing once...
Got rid of it.
It wasn't like a motorcycle.
More like going down the road on a cloud... magic carpet... something like that.

I got into motorized 2 wheels working on mini-bikes for other kids.
learned EVERYTHING the hard way. lol

I recently got into the mabs because everything is SO expensive here in Kalifornia, I don't need much for personal transport besides my pickup, and cheep all around fit the bill very well.

Motorbicyclingdotcom has been an awesome resource which I enjoy very much!
Thank you to all.
rc