If you had $300 and a mountain bike...

GoldenMotor.com

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
If you had $300 and a new hard tail mountain bike, you lived in a moderately hilly area. and were planning to use the bike very often. which engine would you get?

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Personally?

I would try and get hold of a GEBE mount kit & sheave secondhand and then get a tuned engine from davesmotors.com. GEBE kits come in either 52mm or 78mm clutch sizes.

you might have to look for a while, but that would be the best of the best.

Other options include a 2 stroke CIF kit such as the dax 2-strokes and such and then get a shifter kit to go with it, so you would have a manual 5/7 speed motorcycle.

It depends if you want bombproof reliability - because if you do you will need to pay a premium.

hope that helped

Jemma xx

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
Personally?

I would try and get hold of a GEBE mount kit & sheave secondhand and then get a tuned engine from davesmotors.com. GEBE kits come in either 52mm or 78mm clutch sizes.

you might have to look for a while, but that would be the best of the best.

Other options include a 2 stroke CIF kit such as the dax 2-strokes and such and then get a shifter kit to go with it, so you would have a manual 5/7 speed motorcycle.

It depends if you want bombproof reliability - because if you do you will need to pay a premium.

hope that helped

Jemma xx

I checked out the Daves Motors website, and man... do they have some powerful small engines... I am not really sure what a Gebe kit is..?

Yeah I will check out dax..

Well I am willing to work on my engine as much as needed so reliability isn't really a big concern.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
GEBE is golden eagle bike engines - their kit is a rackmount powering the rear wheel though a gear/belt/sheave arrangement.

You can get the mount on its own or with engine.

If you know what you are doing mechanically the CIF engines with shifter kit is probably the way to go.. although it might be worth playing with the ratios on a deraillier since they are geared for pedalling not powered operation - sourcing relevant ratios with a suitable step should make for a fast machine.

hope that helped

Jemma xx

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
Ahhh ok.

I am confused on how the shifter kits work... when hooked up to the bicycles drive system, does the motor turn the pedals? or is the a freewheel somewhere? (I can definitely see the advantage of having multiple gears to choose from, being able to have power at all times)

All the advice you have givin me so far has been very helpful so far =)

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
With the shifter kit, there is a freewheel on the chainrings up front, so the motor turns the front rings but not the pedals.

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
With the shifter kit, there is a freewheel on the chainrings up front, so the motor turns the front rings but not the pedals.
ah ok, that works.. Who all sells the shifter kits? Does anyone else make/sell them other than SickBikeParts.com?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would buy a 31cc weed eater on craig's list, forty bucks worth of hardware and then a heck of a lot of beer.

Last edited:

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
If I had $300 and a mountain bike, I would buy a 31cc weed eater on craig's list, forty bucks worth of hardware, and a bus ticket to North Carolina to give Deacon a hand with all that beer ! :D