BUSTED!!!! (again) getting out of it.

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, pulled over again, the first real ride of the year, on a Sunday, while the Honda car guys buzz up and down my road at 100 mph.

I have been popped three times by the SAME GUY. (no ticket though)

Guess they have their priorities straight.

I have a guy at work who is interested since I just put one together for another guy at work.

I am selling the last of my goodies, and getting out of motorized bikes.

Yes, I will still be here being a pain, and offering my advice and opinions, (didn't think you'd get away that easy didya'?) just no more "illegal" motorized bikes for me.

I may put the last of my engine kits in the swap shop if I don't sell them to these guys at work.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
These things are totally illegal here in Ahia.

Though I was born in Mansfield Ohio, I spent a good many years up in Cleveland Ohio (where grown men have been KNOWN to ride pocket bikes in the streets. Particularly in more "lived-in" areas of Lakewood and on the other side in Euclid. They don't get much more than foul looks from neighbors. Are you certain that ones with a 49 cc engine are illegal to the letter? Now, granted, Cleveland cops may well have bigger fish to fry, especially in the second district, but where you are in Ashtabula I kinda think it may just be a cop who has gotten it into his head that "you don't belong on the street" with all the "motorists". Please, I'd hate to see you give up hope until you know for certain whether this really is the lost cause you take it for. Research the Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws and see if at least the 49 cc jobs are permitted. I know in Indiana that they do not permit a motorized bicycle's engine capacity to exceed 49 cc, but the funny things is: NONE of the police or Sheriff's deputies who see my bike on any sunny day of every week right here at the City-County Building have EVER asked the displacement. I approached them with the attitude that I wanted to travel and park legally and asked them to advise me. They did so and, when done doing so, promptly seemed to lose interest in me. They like the bike though, and guard it as one of their own.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Sorry to here that, atleast you didn't get tickets, i have a handfull.
Im done too, no gas motor on my bike, im peddaling for now, but imma still be here.

I wasa pulled over cause they heard my engine running.

Last edited:

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Alright Ladies!, your not gonna give up that easy are you? Sound like a bunch of Pansies!
just teasing, sorry your giving up.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I could always buy a Wildfire $$$$$ the only legally "approved" motorized bike allowed on the mean streets of Ohio.

I live way out in the boonies, but on a state/federal highway, and that means state patrol.

Those guys all seem to have fiberglass in their shorts.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm in the same boat joe. marion ohio, and the cops don't like MB's here. i built an electric bike to ride in town and just run the gas bikes out in the boonies, are shop is out in the middle of no where so we get by with it out there.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
The wildfires aren't all that outrageous herein Florida. They sell them often on craigs list for right at $400 new. With the disc brake and lights, it seems reasonable enough if I was gonna buy a pre-built.

Follow the Moped laws in Ohio. Motored bikes are treated as mopeds there.

Here's a site with some of the Motorized bicycle codes of Ohio. I don't have the time to peruse it all, but if you're legal, it might be a good idea to print it out and carry it with you as you ride. Sounds like the po po is trying to intimidate you into leaving the streets without knowing for sure if you are breaking the law. They used to do that stuff here in South Carolina back in the '70s. Now they are friendly to motorized bicycles.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-23
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/gone-legal-ohio-3212.html

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
So far I have been awfully lucky here,
as they are totally illegal on the streets. I obay all the traffic laws and my age probably helps. I am sure if I was a young kid running stop signs and speeding through the neighborhoods I would have been stopped by now.
Law of averages says one of these days I will meet the cop that will be a real prick. Then I will have to load them on the carrier and take them out of town to ride.

John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ride my bike on the highway and in town, I live in the country but ride about 7 miles to town and back, i run through town at 5:00AM in the morning and back home @ 6:30PM when I ride mine to work which is 16miles from my home, so far all I get is double take looks and smiles and waves from the Texas State Troopers, the City Cops and the Sherrif Deputies I've passed, so for now it seems they dont care to bother me and I hope it stays that way, I always wear a helmet and I have very good 12volt 50 watt Halogen lights on my bike so I guess they see that I am being safe and following the laws of the road, they always just look at me like " Dang look at that cool bike " and then cruise on past with a wave and a grin......! I havent ran into that Mayberry "Barney" type policeman yet....

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The law has to stop enforcing stupid ass laws like this and worry about what matters this is America the problem is Complainers vote alot so our whole society has been racked with this plague of uneducated decisions made by morons with nothing better to do then complain! I am done with the Law! Not my MB's, they steal from the poor to feed the rich this country has been infiltrated by greedy european influence once again and needs to be changed. There is only one way like the hydra you must severe all heads at once or the beast still lives. Problem is all us comfy americans are to chicken **** to do anything about it!