choke choke what's in a choke.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am assuming like a lawn mower the choke also has the air filter on this little beast. If i pull it today, which is my plan, am I going to find a sponge with oil or fibers. Or something totally different.

by the time you read this I probably will know. So expect questions.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I pulled it... It was a sponge. My needle was way up at the top but I moved it even farther up. If this doesn't work, I'll move it the other way till I find what runs best. I sure wish this carb had a screw not that silly needle.

When I the buddist temple looking thing wasn't tight it raced. Which makes me think you guys were right it was probably too rich.

Oh well. I'll just have to keep plugging away at it. But that needle is at the very top there is no more adjustments to slow the intake of fuel. If this doesn't do it and it is too rich, then I'll be darned if I know what to do next. I haven't really run it enough for the plug to be anything but new. So I can't look at it and tell anything. At least I couldn't last time I pulled it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Am I correct in assuming you mean the needle CLIP is all the way up?

If so, and if it still seems too rich (smoky, black oily plug) then you may want to check the float level. If the float level is too high, it can mimic a too rich condition. It can be too high and still not over flow.

If that's not the case, then I'd contact the dealer/seller about a replacement jet and go from there.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just to check, you are operating the choke the right way, aren't you.

I'm not trying to be a smartazz here, but I got the operation backwards for the first short while and it caused me all kinds of grief. I was operating it on the assumption that it was the same a many of the small 2 stroke dirt bikes I've worked on....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks It's a little too cold to check it out just now. I have no idea what is what but I'm going to see what I can do today.

I actually don't get much smoke. I was surprised by that.

I just am not good with this engine yet. Ask Norman if it wasn't for him I'd be pushing it around or using it for a boat anchor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The directions said up was choke down was off. It runs in the down position fine. It isn't hard to start but won't start at all in the up position. About 1/4 choke will start it or none at all on the second try. To be honest I haven't run it enough to know what is what yet.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was just checking.....maybe your air filter is too restrictive? Could there be something partially blocking it? How about the foam, you didn'ty oil it did you? Both would cause an over-rich condition.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah there in might lie the rub. Yes i did oil it, because it had some oil in it when I opened it. I can remove that and put in another element pretty easily. thanks I'll give that a try as well.

Of course now it might be starved lol. Hey this is fun believe it or not. And yes it has a heavy carbon plug. I had ridden it enough to tell after all.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay at least now I know what is wrong and what i did. The needle is bent just a little. couldn't see it before but now I know. So where can i get a needle or how do I straighten it. Any help would be appreciated

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
How did you manage to bend the needle? Normal needle clip setting I think is #2 up from the bottom. lay the needle on a pane of glass and roll it watch where it wobbles and gently tweak it back straight.
I wouldn't oil the stock filter enough oil gets on it form running. Wash the stock filter in warm soap and water. wring it out and let it dry and you can also blot it with paper to get rid of water. I will wash mine wring it out put it on and run it. some will probably not like that but it works for me.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use your fingers to straighten the needle, and while your at it, put it in the middle, or one up from the middle (I think that's where you had it) then clean the filter with some dishwashing liquid and dry it with compressed air or at least squeeze it out real good and blow it dry with a hair dryer.

Clean the plug real well and then run the bike and see where you are from there.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes I had already washed the filter in dawn dishwashing liquid rinsed it good then blotted it dry.

Norman when the clip went into the engine the needle fell down. No doubt it bent then. I had already staightened it with a long set of needle nose plyers and eyesite. But I lost the e clip lol. I made one from a piece of alum roofing and it worked okay long enough to test and see that you guys are right. I just need to either find that clip or buy one like it.

I guess it's hardware store in the morning. But I know what to do now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did the wash before i read this and exactly like you guys said. Hey I'm not near as stupid as I thought. I found a long long set of needle nose plyers and used them and my old eyes to get the needle straight then of course I lost the eclip for the needle. I dont know how i lost it guys.

I made one from a bit of roof flashing and tried it out. The bent needle was the problem. I'll have to go get a clip tomorrow the flashing isnt going to hold. You know newbie should follow my threads they will know exactly what not to do.

I should be must reading for every novice builder wanna be. Oh well.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey, that's what it's all about- learning as you go. That's certainly how I've always done things.

Definitely replace the clip with a hard steel item...the aluminum will wear away in no time and you'll suck it into the engine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
been there done that with the suck in the engine. If it werent for norman i would be walking for sure. yeah I'm not going to run it again till I get one. That's pretty easy since it's not going to get above freezing tomorrow.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Picture of the choke off as in the run mode. If you look close the instruction are molded into the carb as to what is what. Seeing as I didn't study up on chinese like I should have I don't really know what it says.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here's the choke on for starting. Notice the fuel line nipple and the little red gasket well this nipple is almost always loose when the kit is shipped so it will need gentle tightening. and on the tank there is a little red gasket between the tank and fuel valve. It is most likely laying loose in the kits box and most people won't have a clue as to what or where it goes. I also use the cheesy fuel line but add the stainless steel safety wire on the fuel line fittings as it works easy to use and doesn't cost much. Notice I bent the wires ends so you don't get a free tetanus shot when you touch that area.