Grubee HD axle and BAND DRUM BRAKE

GoldenMotor.com

Midnitebiker

Jan 5, 2010
Coral Springs
Hello all, have been searching for a clue...
Does anyone have a Picture, Close up ...of how the set up is to look for the Grubee HD axle WITH the Disc Band Brake installed...I have no idea (even after building this entire bike,LOL) how to set up the bracket, spring, cable on this rear axle.
I have it on the bike, but I have a bracket, spring, two nuts and bolts, and a what appears like a extra lever..Thanks so much..am using the current two basic bike brakes...(not strong enought I feel)
also would you put the band drum as a single brake or on the optional 2 in one brake lever...Thanks
any pics or info can be posted on here or sent to my email [email protected] Thanks again:-||

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Just in my own opinion, I would keep the other brakes also and use the two in one lever. The two in one lever may be tricky to set up with another brake. I have never done that. The band brake, for me, leaves a little to be desired. Don't get me wrong, it works, but it is not like a disc brake.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
Ummm if you happen to have the freewheel version for the engine side sprocket could you tell me what the center hole on the sprocket would be the right size to fit on the thread on freewheel? and what is the width between locknuts... i have a very old bike i dont want to have to bend the frame.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Sorry it's taken so long to get back with you. I honestly forgot about it.
The id of the sprocket hole is 2.5in.
The width of the axle with the brake and pedal sprocket from inside the bike frame to the other inside bike frame is 5in on mine. I didn't have to bend mine, but it is pretty difficult install without having a tool to help spread the frame a little.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
ahhh i had to order one yesterday just so i could find out..... if anybody wants to buy it off me send me an email

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
I used a picture similar to this to help me set up my rear brake properly. Trying to get the cable threaded through and keep the spring in place until I tightened everything down was aggravating, though.

Attachments