China Girls....Happy Times

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think more than anything lately I come to this site to read about the trials and tribulations of the China Girl (aka Happy Times) motorized bicycle builds.

Seems to be most of what's happening these day's and a dab of electrics for the most part. I kinda miss the excitement of the ugly lawnmower looking bicycle builds here. Oh well, it's all still inspiring....keep on building and riding whatever pleases you.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The only reason i built mine w/ a HT is because of the engine size. I wanted a <50cc engine, and trying to mount a weed eater engine has proven difficult on many levels. If i didn't care about the legal aspect, i would have finagled a bigger lawnmower engine in there.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I sorta agree with Scotto,not much happening in the DIY. Yes the 50cc law we have it here also,but my son built a 6hp wagon and road it around a lot and all the cops did is wave,but might be different with bike.
I am going to try a old Briggs washing machine motor on a build next winter some time...............Curt

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
My cafe build is coming along slowly, but should be finished by August. Just waiting on money for parts.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I'm confused by what you mean. Does all Chinese food have to be Chinese?

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you don't have access to fabrication tools, HT engines allow you to build a bike to ride using basic hand tools. Supposedly the newer generation motors are better. I think as long as they will be available they will be a core staple of motorbicyling since they are what most people start out on and sometimes stick with if they are satisfied. They're well matched and easy to use without much tuning, and work well if maintained.

I've used different engines on bikes and I still would like to put a HT on a road bicycle because the engine fits well in the bikes center of mass and it would be comfortable to pedal. I've found that with the other more powerful engines which can be attached to a bike, the pedals become vestigial and even dangerous and they become scooters or "nopeds". The HT has a different torque band then the racing oriented two strokes, and works well with pedaling uphill without straining the motor if the pedal and motor gearing is matched. The trucklike nature of the engine would be good for a daily cruiser, instead of cruising blasters and just putting hours on them.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'm confused by what you mean. Do all DIY builds have to have performance parts? This is what it seems like you are saying. I'm focusing my build on making it heavy duty, not performance, and also getting creative with DIY is kind of the point. No one wants to see a DIY build where parts A and B are perfectly designed to fit part C. So you research and source and fab and figure things out for yourself and build a bike the way YOU want to build it, not the way everyone else wants or thinks it should be done.
I didn't say anything about anybody else's preferences than mine.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
8 or 10 years ago. HT kits were more in the toy category than in transportation

improvements over the years have made them about the cheapest form of reasonably reliable transportation available - I'd guess that it is the current economy that is causing the split between hobbyists & practical riders

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You really can't beat the compactness, light weight and ease of installing the little chinas. And the low cost of the kits, along with a cheap sturdy bicycle, you really can't beat what this combination has to offer as far as a motorized vehicle goes.

Just about anyone can build and afford one. Prolly easier than baking and frosting a cake.....a really good looking and tasting cake that is!

laff

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I just like my bike. Really doesn't matter what others think, cause I 'built' my machine for me.

Many times, hobbies start out well, then just peter out. This offered me a relatively cheap way to start. If I decided it wasn't for me --- no harm, no foul. However, this 'inexpensive' machine has really taken me places I've not been to in a long time. Namely feeling younger than I am and giving me something to tinker on in the garage. I feel that I started out with one of the better 'kits' and had no major issues. Upgrades, whether for performance or for reliability, are just a natural progression for most people.

My bike makes me happy --- maybe this is the reason they are called HT's...... dance1

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
The clutch. That's why its mostly China girls. Its got a real clutch, not the centrifugal bs.
I will skip over the agricultural/generator motors and go straight to a lifan Honda clone, because it can be had with a real clutch.