The Green Hornet Build

GoldenMotor.com

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
This is my Re-Run! Few years back, about 4, I built a cruiser. I loved it. Then Like an Idiot I sold it...

Here is the new Green hornet Build!

The Bike: Vintage 1972 Schwinn with OG Springer
Note: The Idiot before me decided to paint the ENTIRE bike with an oil based household paint hiding the OEM Green :( It was time to strip it!

Upon $50 purchase day:

UGLY!

Got home and IMMEDIATELY stripped her down. After copious amounts of Paint Stripper, the oil base was off. After about 4 hours of HAND sanding with 100 gritt, moving to 220, then to 400 here she sat:

PURTY

THe Forks after Sanding, Bead Blasting, Primer, Sanding, Base coat, Wet Sand then 2 more coats followed with Clear and a wet sand session of 1500 and 2000

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don, we'll be watching this one. You have a great start and it should be a winner when finished. Keep those progess photos coming. We're waiting.

Just curious. How much steel wool did it take to bring those rims up to where they are? And, how much elbow grease?

Tom

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
Well I started with purple power. If it works when I restore old ford and Chevy rims it should on these! It did well but there was ALOT of surface rust and gray paint on the spokes! Grr! 4 hours and about 10 pints of my homebrew they were done! I then used a metal polish lightly to give them some shine. I'm worried about not being able to use the rims sadly due to the way the sprocket is attached :/

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
It would be nice if you could make those wheels work for you. I've never had a wheel with more than 36 spokes, but I like the way those look.

Green house paint - probably put on with a brush!

There's a bunch of laws to prohibit someone from owning a gun but nothing to stop an a-hole from ruining a nice bike. Ain't right.

Stripping down to bare metal is a pain but at least you know what you're dealing with. Keep the pics coming.

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
Purchased the engine kit today from Gasbike! They had no stock on the black stallion kit so I went with the jet. Will be scrapping the stock exhaust for a nicer one once I review more exhaust. Will be painting the engine with high temp enamel with ceramic imbedded to reduce heat as well. It will be black :p

I will also be tearing it down to throw it in the CNC to port the intakes down to a .001 tolerance

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
SO i changed direction. the green hornet will have NO ENGINE! I snagged an already hand brake, 7 speed cruiser on craigslist for $60 in great shape! So i added the kit :)

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
I have been trying to think of ways to get the spokes to work... what a pain in the ass! I will probably throw a 49cc on it for ****s and giggles... I do have a 49cc kit in the garage.