permatex timing

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I think permatex has to cure overnight at 'finger tight' before it can be considered dry, but as I don't have a tube in front of me to check the fine print I can't be certain right now.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have a tube of it in my hand right now.
Reading the label:
"Silicone dries in 1 hour, and fully cures in 24 hours, at 70*F (21*C) - 50% relative humidity. Allow more time in cold weather."

Real world translation:
After 1 hour is has jelled. It is nowhere near cured yet.
If you want full strength and not risk failure under stress you must wait 24 hours.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I used that stuff, and I intend for it to hold a little pressure from the hose going from the 4 stroke engines crankcase breather to the carb.

While I was going to check the valve between the breather and the carb, the low pressure of my breath to check bubbled the stuff.

It was not even 1 hr set so adding more of the stuff and smoothing it out and have it set for a day and was good to go. I did not test it yet as I have to get time and place to ride legal. It is OHV reg only, not for streets.

Vibration may not be good for it while it goes from 1 hr to 24 hr mark, but I would think it less critical than my application.

MT

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
If the sealant is needed to seal against compression(head, exhaust) or vacuum(intake, crankcase), then wait for it to cure. If its for a waterproof seal such as the mag cover or clutch, it'll be okay after an hour.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the sealant is needed to seal against compression(head, exhaust) or vacuum(intake, crankcase), then wait for it to cure. If its for a waterproof seal such as the mag cover or clutch, it'll be okay after an hour.
Agree, timing covers and the such are under no pressure and I would think an hour or so will be plenty of time.

Map