New Build Cool Stuff

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
This is one easy hobby to get hooked on. I have had three different people stop by and look at my bikes. All three of them ordered engine kits. They will probably alos be joining the forum.
John

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Hi Jim I was looking at the motor mounts and they look great. I was thinking that you might look into the swing arm bushings for some of the small Honda's. Instead of having a bearing they use the rubber filled bushing to let the swing arm move, it also takes out some of the vibs. One of the older Honda CA77's used a larger one but I don't know if you could get any now that was in the 60's. Have fun, Dave

PS: The first Honda 50's had rubber mounts for the engine but for some reason they took them off.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Jim I was looking at the motor mounts and they look great. I was thinking that you might look into the swing arm bushings for some of the small Honda's. Instead of having a bearing they use the rubber filled bushing to let the swing arm move, it also takes out some of the vibs. One of the older Honda CA77's used a larger one but I don't know if you could get any now that was in the 60's. Have fun, Dave

PS: The first Honda 50's had rubber mounts for the engine but for some reason they took them off.
Dave,

Thanks, they worked out really well. The piece that you see in the photos is identical to a motorcycle swing arm bushing, (a rubber filled bushing), they were the upper A-arm bushings for a 73 chevy Nova...exact same concept. And yes the vibration isolation was complete.

Jim

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
OK - I thought you were looking for smaller ones. I was thinking of using a sandwich affair, adapted to the flat mount I made. By itself it did nothing to stop vibration. On the motorcycles I used to work on if the mounts got loose it would tear the bike up. When we would tighten the bolts it would go away. I was thinking that was the problem with the happy time bikes, so I think they need a top mount added! I have a Moon Doggy and it has very little vibration, also a very small frame. Love your machining and all your help. Have fun, Dave
Dave,

Thanks, they worked out really well. The piece that you see in the photos is identical to a motorcycle swing arm bushing, (a rubber filled bushing), they were the upper A-arm bushings for a 73 chevy Nova...exact same concept. And yes the vibration isolation was complete.

Jim

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI EGOR, HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TRIP. I ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT A HEAD SUPPORT, BUT WOULD THE HEAD BOLTS AND GASKET TAKE IT. IF SO, SOMEONE MAY MACHINE A HEAD WITH A MOUNT BOSS BUILT IN !!!???.duh.:-||.wee.dnut

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
this is a Tohatsu 50 with a top motor mount, what do you think? It is possible that the head from one of these bikes would fit on the happy engine. I had an extra engine for my bike I thought it would still be in the garage but I can't find it. I guess that was thirty years ago. LOL. It would be easy to make long head bolts and then add a bracket to pick up the frame, the 8mm bolts would work the best. Have fun, Dave. bld.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
this is a Tohatsu 50 with a top motor mount, what do you think? It is possible that the head from one of these bikes would fit on the happy engine. I had an extra engine for my bike I thought it would still be in the garage but I can't find it. I guess that was thirty years ago. LOL. It would be easy to make long head bolts and then add a bracket to pick up the frame, the 8mm bolts would work the best. Have fun, Dave. bld.
Dave, Ron

Hello!

The only problem I can see with a cylinder head mount is the variety of frame geometries. I think it would be hard to make a one-size fits all kit without half of them looking cobbled together. I'm certainly open to suggestions. Once the CNC is set-up for low cost volume production the product must have mass appeal.

The front mount, rear mount, set-up works great provided you have a good set of mounts. The mounts shown in this thread worked exactly as intended. They are too big, and will be streamlined about 50% in the CNC. other than that they offered total isolation. It's really best for the engine to have a little give anyway. When mounted rigid, the engine transmits a high harmonic through the frame and itself...not good...foaming fuel, broken hardware, exhaust pipes that shake loose etc. I know race cars use solid mounts. These engines are also well balanced. This isn't a race car, and it is hardly balanced.

Jim

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
That bike is freaking spectacular. How cool.

I've thought about using 2 of the head studs to make a 3rd mount point, but it really would have to be custom for each frame. Plus what Jim said.

Jun 25, 2008
One observation, it would appear that a choice would have to be made between zero vibration by installing jims mounts or a shifter kit.. or am i wrong?.bld.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Currently, yes you're correct. Some new side plates could possibly be made for the shifter kit to allow for this mount I think.

I do believe I heard the SBP guys say they are working on some type of vibration-isolating motor mounts...one can only hope they make it fit the shift kit as well...

Jun 25, 2008
ATTENTION PABLO! - heres what i'd envisage being the best solution

Jim - if you can do us a clutch kit compatible with your intake and those motor mounts, we'd be looking to buy serious quantities

Pablo - If you could either fabricate or team up with Jim to create a similar device to my design, i.e a secure bolt on jackshaft housing along with the other components of your shifter kit, we would be onto serious a winner.

Once tested, we'd fit this package as standard on our bikes as should all other MB vendors/manufacturers.

what do you other guys think?

Attachments

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
ATTENTION PABLO! - heres what i'd envisage being the best solution

Jim - if you can do us a clutch kit compatible with your intake and those motor mounts, we'd be looking to buy serious quantities

Pablo - If you could either fabricate or team up with Jim to create a similar device to my design, i.e a secure bolt on jackshaft housing along with the other components of your shifter kit, we would be onto serious a winner.

Once tested, we'd fit this package as standard on our bikes as should all other MB vendors/manufacturers.

what do you other guys think?
That design is already in mind.
'BrettMavriK