Boise Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Mad Professor

Mar 10, 2013
Boise, ID
I got into these after losing my driver license, and boy are they fun. In Idaho, we may run under the moped (title code 49-114, 9a for internal combustion, 49-114, 9b for electric) exemption. No title, registration, insurance, drivers license, or motorcycle endorsement required. But you must have headlight, taillight, brakelight, rear view mirror, and a horn to comply with vehicle safety standards. Also you must operate in traffic lanes like you are on a Harley. Motoring in the bike lane is a misdemeanor. I learned the hard way by getting ticketed, going to court, paying an attorney, and paying fines for FMVSS and Operating Motorized in bike path or lane. Whoops. So I looked into state statutes and put a 12 volt system on my bike for the lights and horn. I always carry a copy of title code 49 on the bike for the uneducated Boise police officers(they are the ones that pull me over, the Ada County Sherriffs don't bother) so I can review state law with them, and explain that now I know them they don't need to bother me again. Each cop gets one stop, I must know twenty of them now. Once I show them that mine is up to code, they are usually quite friendly. I love this forum. It has been a great help to me. I will post pics of my builds when I can. Thanks!

Mad Professor

Mar 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Re: Boise MB

This is my first. I went all the way with her. 66 cc, 32 tooth sprocket, upgrade to steel rims (freewheel rear), Tektro caliper brakes, Hutchinson lowrider tires, chrome K&N, springer, rack with lots of saddlebags, 12 volt system with 12 amp/hour AGM battery, Blackburn speedo, and for a while even an Alpine GPS. It started as a Magna beach cruiser and ended with the only things being stock were frame, crank, and seatpost. Flat ground speed 33mph, max downhill 38.7. My only dislike was it was heavy. I sold this bike last week, and reinvested most of $ in a Schwinn meridian trike for a future build.

Attachments

Mad Professor

Mar 10, 2013
Boise, ID

This is number two. I started with a cranbrook frame. First did some chopping and welding to lower rear by 4.5 inches. A little bit of grinder to clean up welds and sanding. Primer, flat black. Assembly time: shorter crank to minimize pedal strikes, banana seat, 19 inch rise ape hangers with 4 bolt stem to hold em still, street cruiser tires on alloys, triple style shock fork with linear pull brake(coaster rear). Time for power: Skyhawk 48cc, 41 tooth sprocket, 25 inches of header. Obviously too loud, 'cause when I test ride it down the street this old lady makes a face like she's constipated bad. So I find this muffler that's new but for a briggs, and it has little perforations on the side for exhaust gases to exit, making the backpressure I need. Add another foot of pipe and this crazy fat muffler and its done. Before I had 20 miles on it my brother shows up, forces me to sell it to him, and takes it to Oregon. So I am left with no MB. Hmmm. Time to Build!

Attachments

Mad Professor

Mar 10, 2013
Boise, ID

Current build. I know, it's a cranbrook, but my sister gave it to me so I'm not out a lot of cash. No frame mods on this one. Same type of shock fork as the lowered ape hanger bike. Made the seatpost low and rearward. Right now it's disassembled. Fenders and chainguard are gloss black, drying out in the shop. I will Bel-Ray waterproof grease the wheel and crank bearings while it is apart. 5x thicker slime tubes like all my bikes get. Rear tire Hutchinson Lowrider 2.3 something wide/front tire 1.5-1.75 width for that fat/skinny look. Blue/Black/Chrome will look OK I think. Going with 66cc/32 tooth/Black tank on this. Working out LED low consumption lighting so it can have a compact lightweight battery, unlike my first bike. I swear the batt in that one weighed as much as the engine. Trying for 35+mph on level ground. This should be possible with no saddlebags, lighter weight, and lower rider position. Wheeeee!

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

those crannies have the nicest paint colors for a low buck bike, just keep a sharp eye for cracks. oh ya bronco blue...figures.

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Really good looking bikes man. I live in Boise myself, by the airport. Perhaps we could do a collaboration build? I will link my build here.