gear or not to gear?

GoldenMotor.com

robdog

Feb 25, 2013
sebring fl.
hey guys,im at the tail end of my first build.ive got a 48cc grubee on an electra townie 3speed with coaster brake.my question is,anyway possible to make use of the three gears?it seems like they are inside the hub.it is a shimano hub with a nexus gear system.thanks

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
To gear or not to gear? That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous traffic congestion,
Or to take arms against a sea of DMV laws,
And by opposing end them? To pedal: to coast;
No more; and by a coasting to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks of a bad magneto.......

OK, I'll stop.

Gears really do help and is great to have the option. Just my HO

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
To take advantage of the gears, you need a jackshaft kit from SBP. Also I have heard that the cheaper hub gear systems tend to cook when we run them at motorbike speeds, so be careful and happy riding!

robdog

Feb 25, 2013
sebring fl.
thanks 4 the advice bro.i will check into the jackshaft after i get this thing broke in,still waiting on my sprocket to be machined. -RISING low-

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Since there's no hills in Florida who needs gears? Where I live it's pretty flat too. All of my bikes have only one gear, and I don't feel any need to add the complexity of a jackshaft. As it is my bike will do 40 now, and I shouldn't be going over 30. Try and keep this in mind, it's a bicycle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I prefer geared builds to improve acceleration and reduce cruise speed RPM, which is pretty must all you can expect as gearing will not increase "top speed" over a single speed build, provided the finals are the same.

It does add complexity, maintenance & cost, whether it's "worth it" can only be decided by the builder ;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It's a little late for Jackshafting now, you want to do it with a new clean motor before you mount it and the rear sprocket.

Are they worth the extra $200?
Every penny of it, especially on a gutless stock 48cc, you'll beat a stock 66cc direct drive off the line and run with them flat out.

I also prefer internal shifters, just one rear sprocket keeps the chain tight and quite.

I have built a lot of shifters, you can see some of them here.
http://kcsbikes.com/currentBuilds.asp#2-Stroke Shifter

If you have the budget get an SBP Expansion chamber and Iridium plug as well and you'll leave those stock 66's in your dust.

Zoom Zoom Baby ;-}

Last edited: