Greetings from "The D"

GoldenMotor.com

steelspoke

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit
About a month ago, my wife and I rode our scoots to the second annual Thunderdrome in Detroit. Its a formerly abandoned concrete velodrome that Mother Nature has been reclaiming over the years. It is a beautifully dangerous and wonderfully intimidating track that is now home to moped, scooter and bicycle daredevils twice a year.
I witnessed an exhilarating day of old Puchs, Kreidlers and garage built death traps, dizzily circling the graffiti adorned and potholed laden loop in 98 degree sun... What a great day of racing! To top it off, my wife and I watched "The Worlds Fastest Indian" later that night for the first time. Needless to say, I was truly inspired.

My goal is to build a motorized bicycle to race in the 2013 Thunderdrome.

Im very comfortable with bicycle mechanics but I have no real experience with motors. I have limited welding knowledge, but armed with a new Miller MIG and some help from a buddy, Im confident I can safely join metals. Im hoping that the Motorbicycling.com community can teach me a thing or two... Or at least point me in the right direction.
Before asking a ton of questions I will familiarize my self with this forum in hopes to find answers before I exhaust and annoy you all. Im really excited to begin this project and I invite and words of wisdom you guys can offer. Thanks in advance-
-Steelspoke

zombie68

Mar 17, 2010
Boise,ID
Welcome to the forum! Like you, this will be a learning process for me. Reading through the forum, there is a wealth of information from very experienced builders. Good luck and good reading:)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. As you are already aware there is a wealth of information available here. You can find answers to most, if not all of your beginner questions. For more specialized information feel free to ask. We're here to help.
You might want to check out our DIY section as well as our new racing forums for help in buiding a non-kit bike.
Thanks for joining us, have fun and ride safe.

Tom