what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Removed the foam air filter & replaced w/ a metal strainer. Replaced original cover. To increase air flow out I drilled three 1/4 inch holes in the bottom end of the muffler. total cost < $1 (3 metal strainers for $1, two left over) Total time: 20 min.

Very noticeable increase in power! Harder (but still not impossible) to flood it.
Some increase in noise but I consider that a safety feature.
Will report on changes in mileage.
Also put on a rear view mirror. Since I'm wearing a stocking cap under the helmet these days it's harder to look behind me.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.

On the Air filter topic. while in Desert Storm we would put nylons over the air cleaner to keep the extra fine sand particles out. So it would stand to reason that if they would filter out sand and dust then they would catch almost everything without much restriction. May give it a shot.

joegrind

Sep 1, 2011
san diego

Made sure my chain was working nice. All bolts tight snuff and carb cleaned and Clutch adjusted

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

Today was a nice breezy night so I decided to take my mb out for a ride. I haven't rode in like 2 months and the HT motor started right up on my first attempt. Cruised around the neighborhood checking out all the Christmas lights and it was really nice. I was about 5 miles away from home and then my worst fear had came true, I got a flat tire. I ran over a big bump and it flatten my rear tire. I had a fix a flat can on board and inflated the tire with it, 3 minutes later it was flat again! Apparently the tube had a big hole so that didn't work. I had to walk the bike all the way home, luckily it wasn't too far (5 miles). When I got home I had an extra tube lying around so I replaced it and 30 minutes later I was back on the road again! I need to do something about my tires to prevent from getting frequent flats. Does anyone have any suggestions?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I worked on my oil dispenser today.

Also fixing my 8mm engine drive chain. Then I'll use it as a spare when my new chain arrives in the mail.

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

I need to do something about my tires to prevent from getting frequent flats. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I commute (17 miles each way) on my MB and flats were a major issue. I am now using: the thicker "thorn resistant" inner tube, nylon liners inside the tire and good, thick, unworn tires. After averaging 2 flats a week I have now gone a month without any.
I want to switch to the Kevlar tires but at $45 each that is gonna wait till after the holidays.
I have considered the solid "puncture-proof" for $95 each but the guy at the bike shop warns me that they tend to slip off the rim. Sounds bad @ 40 mph.

Also, search under "slime" in this forum. Some users swear by it.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.

I need to do something about my tires to prevent from getting frequent flats. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am also an avid mountain biker and we commonly use downhill racing tubes.
Michelin Aircomp Competition Downhill Racing 26 x 2.2-
Cost a bit more but you will never flat again. These are made to drop 10ft and not pinch flat. I also carry a light weight spare and a patch kit, C02 inflaters are a great item will inflate a tire in seconds small and light weight. http://www.bikewagon.com/Bike-Acces...me-Pumps/Avenir-Quick-Burst-CO2-p8435075.html

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

I commute (17 miles each way) on my MB and flats were a major issue. I am now using: the thicker "thorn resistant" inner tube, nylon liners inside the tire and good, thick, unworn tires. After averaging 2 flats a week I have now gone a month without any.
I want to switch to the Kevlar tires but at $45 each that is gonna wait till after the holidays.
I have considered the solid "puncture-proof" for $95 each but the guy at the bike shop warns me that they tend to slip off the rim. Sounds bad @ 40 mph.

Also, search under "slime" in this forum. Some users swear by it.
i've had baaadddd experiences with those solid tires. ruined a bike one time because of it.

was rounding a corner on a sidewalk when the tire slipped off, rim made me skid into the street when the bike frame got bent from the impact. (it was electric and going at about 20mph)

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

I am also an avid mountain biker and we commonly use downhill racing tubes.
Michelin Aircomp Competition Downhill Racing 26 x 2.2-
Cost a bit more but you will never flat again. These are made to drop 10ft and not pinch flat. I also carry a light weight spare and a patch kit, C02 inflaters are a great item will inflate a tire in seconds small and light weight. Avenir Quick Burst CO2 Mini Bike Pump / CO2 Combo
My tires are 700c X 42, I couldn't find my size for the Downhill racing tube on the site you post but I did find these. Are these any good?

UL 700X18-23 52MM PV 700x18-23 52mm PV

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

I commute (17 miles each way) on my MB and flats were a major issue. I am now using: the thicker "thorn resistant" inner tube, nylon liners inside the tire and good, thick, unworn tires.

The nylon liners, do you put it between the rim and the tube or the tire and tube?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

i've had baaadddd experiences with those solid tires. ruined a bike one time because of it.

was rounding a corner on a sidewalk when the tire slipped off, rim made me skid into the street when the bike frame got bent from the impact. (it was electric and going at about 20mph)
You have to make sure you take proper measurements. It's all about the compatible tire for the rim. Myself, I found rims that fit the local tire shop's solid tire inventory, and now I replace the back tire yearly and move the old one to the front.

The first go about it was difficult, as I was having some slipping probs as well, but now I'm sold on them. Military grade bicycle tires - WHAT! :D

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I did make a lucky discovery of the Schwinn Bike computer I had bought a while back, but did not mount it one the mab...

Scored two discarded mtb's yesterday, in my travels.
Think I might switch out my motor to the diamondback, which seems the more interesting of the two. still no front suspension. shucks!

Saw a bike, through the window of a thrift store, last night... an 'english styled' womens bike.. not in very good shape... but it's got a stout looking rear cargo rack that has collapsible side folding baskets with it. ...gonna have to go look at that today!
...still gotta get horn, mirror, and lites.

Best to all
rc

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.

My tires are 700c X 42, I couldn't find my size for the Downhill racing tube on the site you post but I did find these. Are these any good?

UL 700X18-23 52MM PV 700x18-23 52mm PV
700cx42 = 29"x1.75 mountain bike, try these 2mm thickness at the rim and 4mm at the wheel in comparison to .7mm thickness of the 700c road tubes
Universal Cycles -- Q Tubes 29r Thorn Resistant
Don't worry that it says 29x1.9-2.3 .15 of an inch isn't an issue.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Took her out on her maiden voyage. it runs amazing!

the piston i notched so it clears the intake fully, then also cut a tiny groove (boost port i think it's called) so it starts the intake a little before the skirt opens the port.

anyway, here's a picture of the beauty!

Attachments

scud

Dec 3, 2011
Fountain Valley

just got my cruiser back up and running today after a break down and then a rebuild. opened up the intake and exhaust for some more airflow. modded the bike to mimic cafe styling. some more torque, a better look, and now it's loud as ****. I know a lot of guys on here are about making these motors quiet, but I'm not one of them! pics and vid to follow tomorrow in the cruiser section!!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod

I I dipped my C.D.I. into some liquid rubber "The stuff used on metal handles of wire cutters , Channies. etc".Before when ever it rained out it would get wet and short out Now it is 100% water proof folks,. I did the same thing to the servo's on my Nitro cars. Works great. I was worried about over heating on my servos but 2 years later & still no issues & still the same servos