Hi from Knoxville.

GoldenMotor.com

bobmcmillen11

Sep 9, 2008
I had a very small bike shop in the early 70's and have always kept a few bikes around since then (largely unused). I also have an extensive background in vintage motocross machines, so I'm familiar with small two strokes. I'd been thinking of a motorized bike and finally did some searching on the internet and - voila _ I'm a new owner of a 66 cc HT. The only suitable bike I have is a mountain bike (didn't want to put it on the Colnago or Litespeed road bikes). The motor is an unhappy fit, but it's only temporary; I plan to buy a cheap cruiser soon. Had trouble with the motor mount and chain tensioner - finally had to go find a half-link. Then I couldn't get it started - had good spark, fuel in the bowl, etc. Tried starter fluid (I know that's a no-no) and fuel directly in the sparkplug hole. Finally started and was easy to start after that. Motored around the block a few times and then tightened everything up in preparation for a test run. After about 5 miles as I was headed home the exhaust tone abruptly became much louder and the engine lost power and died. I thought it was a blown head gasket, exhaust manifold, or muffler problem, but I couldn't see anything amiss, so I had to pedal home. Took off the head, expecting the worst, but the piston and cylinder looked perfect. Took the muffler apart and it looked undamaged to me. So I restarted the bike an hour later and it started, but with the loud exhaust note and seemed to be 4-stroking. Sorry to keep running on, but I need help from experienced MB'ers. I is there something in the muffler that can be blown out? There was no packing of any kind - was there supposed to be? Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the whole experience and will attempt to solve this setback today.
Cheers,
Bob

bobmcmillen11

Sep 9, 2008
Never mind. Sorry, found the problem - a blown exhaust manifold gasket. I missed it yesterday due to either dim light, poor eyesight, or beer goggles. As soon as I cut out another one I'm back in business. Sorry to bore you with a non issue.
Bob

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008
Bore away Bob. Anyone with a Colnago in the stable and enough sense to give motor assist a whirl is in good company here.