help!! no masterlink

GoldenMotor.com

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Help im stuck in Donna Texas and my chain broke on my 80 cc chinese does anyone know where I can get a masterlink for this thing ? Were going to Florida in about 6 days traveling along the coast. My internet connection here at this rv park is practically worthless. Does anyone know where I can get another chain and some master links around here ?

Ted

enigma

Jan 22, 2008
any idea what size chain? On our race karts we avoid master links by using a "press Vise", it allows you to disassemble and reassembkle the chain without a master link, avoiding the "weak link" so to say and most importantly eliminating the need for a special link. They are available for most sizes and well worth the cost.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Also called a chain breaker. I have seen them at wallymart but I'm not sure what sizes they will break from there. You need one that will break a 1/8th inch chain for the bike chain I believe. As for replacement chain moped dealers should have it. Maybe even a bike shop if you can find one with the bmx type 1/2 x 1/8 size I think it is. AGain that is for the common motor bike I have yours might be different.

I also read that the chain is common motor cycle chain as well I'm not sure about that. First thing I would do would be to download he yellow pages for closest town. Under motorcycle, moped, bicycle dealers and repair.

Hope that helps. You may get better advice from some of the more experienced memebers.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i do not use a master link. it is the weakest link of the chain. with a good park chain breaker you can take out and replace any link you like

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Teddy B
I don't know where in Fl. you are going I just got back from there I have a business card that was left under the wipers on our van someone must of saw the engine assisted bike I had with me. The card is for a shop in Jupiter, Fl. here is whats on the card.
A solar Eclipse .net
128 Juno Street
Jupiter, Fl. 33458
561-747-4144
they are by appt. only they tint windows and on their card they list that they are the go bikes.com-motors for bikes. I tried to look it up on the net but didn't have any luck. Most likely my fault. But they do have a phone number and you might call and see if they have what you need. One of our member lives in Gainsville, Fl. as well maybe he will chime in and point you in the right direction for a master link. If all else fails email me your address i have a couple of extra links.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Teddy B
I don't know where in Fl. you are going I just got back from there I have a business card that was left under the wipers on our van someone must of saw the engine assisted bike I had with me. The card is for a shop in Jupiter, Fl. here is whats on the card.
A solar Eclipse .net
128 Juno Street
Jupiter, Fl. 33458
561-747-4144
they are by appt. only they tint windows and on their card they list that they are the go bikes.com-motors for bikes. I tried to look it up on the net but didn't have any luck. Most likely my fault. But they do have a phone number and you might call and see if they have what you need. One of the guys lives in Gainsville, Fl. as well check out the members list.
Norman
another idea:
I recently bought a 415 chain in a specialty bike store. The man who sold it to me had no idea it was called that. He just called it a trick chain for bikes that jump. He had to look up the width on the box to find it. Ask for a 1/2 x 3/16 chain or link. You might have more luck than asking for a 415

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can use a regular one speed bicycle chain as an emergency replacement, buy two at Walmart, and you should have enough chain to replace your drive chain until you get a master link.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Norman I appreciate your offer to.

I found a link that is working for now at a farm parts and equiptment store ,not the exact specks as #415 seems thicker but it works It says #41 on the packet.

Thanks again Ted

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Hey Everyone #41 Roller Chain is working perfectly for me for now buy it at Tractors Supply for a 10 foot length was about $13 . Spookey tooth supplied me with this info.

Ted

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Hey Everyone #41 Roller Chain is working perfectly for me for now buy it at Tractors Supply for a 10 foot length was about $13 . Spookey tooth supplied me with this info.

Ted
wow awesome ted. i am going to tractor supply monday. i always like that store and really need an extra chain

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Cruiser look at the chainbreakers there and let me know if they are any good will you,thanks they were out of stock when I bought the chain so I had to use a punch and hammer.

Ted

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Once you have love with a chain breaker you will never go back...rotfl

On a serious note: The difference between a 41 chain and 415 chain is?? A 415 chain has rollers?? And a 41 chain not?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So exactly what is the advantage of rollers less sprocket wear? With the quality of these engines would it really matter? Just curious I have no idea what I'm talking about.