I'm still trying to wrap my head around these bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
My wife is a hardcore mountain biker and she will probably shame me if I showed up with one of these bikes one day (she's of the "no pain, no gain" camp) but the concept really intrigues me. So, say I had one of these motors on my santa cruz heckler (probably not an easy mount) could I use the motor as an assist to my hill climbing abilities? In other words, could I run the motor enough that I could still pedal, but the motor would be assisting the hill climb as I got tired climbing the hill by pedaling? I'm not so much interested in having a mountain bike-sized dirt bike, as I am interested in having something assist me on the ever so persistent all day long 35 mile, 6000 foot gain rides she likes to do (she is a 53 year old, trim, mountain-biking animal). So, in effect I could build up my strength as the motor was assisting the climb. And then at the top of the climb, I could turn the motor off and coast (and pedal) on the downhill, flats and small climbs? Do any of these motors have this capability? Also, is there any motor system that would fit on my Heckler which I could have a quick release on it, so I could take it off if we were riding in an area that I didn't feel I needed the motor assist?

Can I have it both ways?

Thanks, you guys are great!

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
My wife is a hardcore mountain biker and she will probably shame me if I showed up with one of these bikes one day (she's of the "no pain, no gain" camp) but the concept really intrigues me. So, say I had one of these motors on my santa cruz heckler (probably not an easy mount) could I use the motor as an assist to my hill climbing abilities? In other words, could I run the motor enough that I could still pedal, but the motor would be assisting the hill climb as I got tired climbing the hill by pedaling? I'm not so much interested in having a mountain bike-sized dirt bike, as I am interested in having something assist me on the ever so persistent all day long 35 mile, 6000 foot gain rides she likes to do (she is a 53 year old, trim, mountain-biking animal). So, in effect I could build up my strength as the motor was assisting the climb. And then at the top of the climb, I could turn the motor off and coast (and pedal) on the downhill, flats and small climbs? Do any of these motors have this capability? Also, is there any motor system that would fit on my Heckler which I could have a quick release on it, so I could take it off if we were riding in an area that I didn't feel I needed the motor assist?

Can I have it both ways?

Thanks, you guys are great!
definitely... try looking at a friction drive. it clamps down to the tread of the back wheel and can be unclamped and flipped up... out of the way when you don't want the motor engaged. it weighs about the same as a fully loaded rack full of equipment.

I highly recommend the 35cc rs motor.

it is available here. hope this helps.

FDR-335 Robin Subaru 33.5 cc 1.60 HP Four Cycle Engine Kit

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
What I've read about the friction drives is they don't work well with knobby tires. Is this a good application for a serious off road mountain bike?

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
Also, the friction drive would be a manual solution for my situation. If I wanted to switch from using it to not using it, it looks like I'd have to stop and lift the drive wheel off the tire. I was hoping for something a little more seamless, like perhaps just turning off the motor and then restarting it when I wanted the power assist going up the hill.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
They don't work as well on knobby tires... But they definitly work. most of the issue is because it eats the tires way faster. However for just a quick boost to get you up the hill you won't have any issues... The wal mart off road tires are cheap and work well for the price so replacement of worn out tires shouldn't be an issue either unless you are really strapped for cash.

Biggest diwnside is that friction drives do not work when wet... At all.

Upside is that they are super easy to install and will fit almost any bike including many full sus.

Another upside is that when the roller is disengaged, the whole thing is disengaged. No chains or belts or anything else connected to your wheel... Minus the weight difference, when the roller is off, it's like the bike isn't motorized.

I will post some pictures of the one I built when I get back to my desktop, they illustrate my point a little better.

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Shift kit ???
Shift kits are awesome... But if you plan on doing any significant amount of pedaling (especially with the motor off) I would advise against it. I have three bikes with sick bike shift kits and one with a staton friction drive.

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
GMV- I find it hard to believe that with the friction drive down, it wouldn't be a hindrance to pedaling. If the friction drive is pressing hard enough against the tire to propel the bike, how can it NOT be a hindrance to pedaling. I would think it would feel like you are dragging an anchor.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It would be more like trolling using a lure as opposed to dragging an anchor. On the other hand, pedaling a jack-shafted or even a standard kit drive-train with the engine off is very much like dragging an anchor.....quite a diff.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
If ya get the pull start 2 stroke they make a rear freewheel for the sprockets and then ya got no drag at all I just don't like the thought of the friction drives it you want you can install the two stokes to a rack on the rear like that and still use the chain I have been thinking about doing this for quieter reasons and the motor not being between your legs I think would be a bonus.

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
GMV- I have no opinion, that is why I am on these boards- I am literally clueless.

Mbuna- Why don't you like the thought of friction drives? Why don't you like the motor between you legs? Does the muffler get too hot?

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
GMV- I have to admit, your bike looks very clean- and it looks like the drivetrain comes off very easily. What percentage drag do you think you feel compared to not having the roller on the tire? Does it slow you down by 50%, 20%, ??)

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
GMV- I have no opinion, that is why I am on these boards- I am literally clueless.

Mbuna- Why don't you like the thought of friction drives? Why don't you like the motor between you legs? Does the muffler get too hot?
I usually tell people to start here... what bike are you going to motorize?

can you post a picture?

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
why would you want to motorize something so beautiful as that? that is a super nice bike.

honestly I don't think any kit will work well with that bike... not without modification that could damage the bike anyways.

my advice would be to find a cheaper craigslist bike closer to the one i pictured earlier. it works universally well with any kit you do decide to buy... you can even try several kits for the price of a ruining a niCe bike like the one you posted.

try looking at this kit... scroll to the bottom of the page.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

I would rank it between the jackshaft and frictiondrive on almost all points. it is my favorite kit so far and is possibly the best you can buy.

Last edited:

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
Good point. It truly is a sweet bike. I guess the conclusion I am coming to is to get a lower cost bike that would be dedicated to motor cycling, rather than trying to bastardize my mountain bike.

I guess I will have to resign myself to the fact that when I am riding with my wife, she will continue to kick my a** on all the uphill climbs and I will beat her on the downhills. And after we get home and she cleans up her Santa Cruz Blur and I clean up mine- THEN I can go out and run the motor bike. I was hoping I could have a little of both worlds.

Thanks for all your ideas.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
why would you want to motorize something so beautiful as that? that is a super nice bike.

honestly I don't think any kit will work well with that bike... not without modification that could damage the bike anyways.

my advice would be to find a cheaper craigslist bike closer to the one i pictured earlier. it works universally well with any kit you do decide to buy... you can even try several kits for the price of a ruining a niCe bike like the one you posted.

try looking at this kit... scroll to the bottom of the page.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

I would rank it between the jackshaft and frictiondrive on almost all points. it is my favorite kit so far and is possibly the best you can buy.
Yes, without going in frame.....my opinion.

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
I was looking at the golden eagle. But it looks like to do it justice you need to buy the special wheel with the bigger spokes. My guess is it puts a bit of stress on the stock wheels where it is grabbing it so far out from the axle. The best part is you take off the drive belt and your bike is stock (except for the plastic thing on the wheel and the 20 lb motor)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Good point. It truly is a sweet bike. I guess the conclusion I am coming to is to get a lower cost bike that would be dedicated to motor cycling, rather than trying to bastardize my mountain bike.

I guess I will have to resign myself to the fact that when I am riding with my wife, she will continue to kick my a** on all the uphill climbs and I will beat her on the downhills. And after we get home and she cleans up her Santa Cruz Blur and I clean up mine- THEN I can go out and run the motor bike. I was hoping I could have a little of both worlds.

Thanks for all your ideas.
Yeah, you really can't have it both ways when you have a REAL mtn. bike....don't ruin your Santa Cruz......get a cheaper bike to motorize and keep your wife happy ;)