power output?

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
what is the power output of the wire coming from a basic 80cc engine?not a skyhawk or anything....i wanted a light for my bike but theres 12v 8v and 6v...what to get...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
what is the power output of the wire coming from a basic 80cc engine?not a skyhawk or anything....i wanted a light for my bike but theres 12v 8v and 6v...what to get...
The white wire will produce an AC (alternating current) voltage of about 6 to 9 volts depending on engine rpm. You need to keep in mind however that the wattage is restricted to about 2.5 to 3 watts. Not a very bright light especially if you're relying on an incandescant lamp. Some have used LED (light emitting diode) lamps with success because their current draw is much less that the incandescant lamp. You might find that closing your spark plug gap down from the recommended .024 to .028 to .018 to .020 will improve engine performance when using the white wire for lights. Also keep in mind that the 3 watts is total wattage so if you plan on running a tail light you'll need to add the wattage of your lamps and not exceed the 3 watt maximum output of the magneto.
Tom