Should i go electric?

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
After browsing the electric section, I am contemplating building an electric powered bike. My commute to work is 1.5 miles and electric seems more practical to me. I have the perfect platform to build on (dyno), but when it comes to these kits I have no clue really. I am an intelligent man and could probably figure it out by reading all the treads, but I truly know nothing about the motors, controllers, batteries, etc. I know SBP has kits, but other than that I am pretty much clueless.

I don't need a speed demon, but I don't want a dog either! I would like something that does turn heads when I "get on it". Sorry, but that is just the man in me. And, I am very OCD and it will have to be a clean build.

What are your thoughts on this?

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Jeff,

I just looked through your build....nice! I have no doubt I can build a decent ebike. I am just a little hesitant due to not know enough about parts, batteries, motors, controllers, etc.

I see that SBP has two kits. Should I go with the one I linked in the post above? Is their "large" motor kit too much?

After reading your thread, I see you used the same rear hub I purchased yesterday...the sturmey archer 8 speed. I got it because it was the only one I could find that was 120mm and will fit nicely between my dropout extensions.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-E...537970?hash=item3aca80bdb2:g:1jMAAOSwAuZX2PlP
These ebay kits work very well from what I've heard from many people. One of those and 4 10-20AH 12V slas
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...j8980dW7UkJPb4v8eq79c0QMtdJctHMm4saAg-p8P8HAQ
to start, wired together, and a self balancing charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bi...149362?hash=item41b536eab2:g:t8cAAOSwzLlXhNeb

Get a Li-On pack later, since it's an investment more than twice the price of the conversion kit. Whats nice about these is that they work with normal bike disc brakes for the rear.

An SLA pack is about 6lbs. heaver than a LiOn pack. For a Roundtrip 3 mile commute, it will be more than enough. You can get an V in-frame bag to carry the batteries, or stack them inside the frame and hide them with plastic panels on both sides, with the appearance of a sondors storm bike in a way.

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the info Ultra. I think if I have space, I am going to make a fake in frame gas tank and put the battery in there....just a thought.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Well, my reason being is I have already purchased an in frame gas tank for my frame and it wasn't cheap. So, rather than have an expensive piece of specific aluminum laying around I thought why not find a way to utilize it.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Good idea. It'll replace the need for side panels. However, it's important to keep the weight as low as possible in the frame. Just something to keep in mind.
You could probably sell it for serious $.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
mike, good to see your doing alright, and your girl is growing like weeds. get the luna its all plug and play the controller is in the motor the switch gear is all plug in. really the way to go no extra chains and sprockets to adjust and it flat out gets with it. aint cheep but nothing good is. another thing no problem with the fuzz as long as you don't do 40mph on the beach strand. do it bro you won't look back. dennis

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks Dennis! I am moving forward with the electric build. Trying to find time to fit it all in between work, my daughter, and life is the tricky part.